The Student Room Group

Picking history modules

I have to pick modules for a history degree starting September 2019. I prefer modern history but there is a requirement to do two modules covering pre 1570. For me its between medieval (1050-1500) or early modern (1500-1750).I've studied early modern at A-level so i don't know if its worth covering again even if in more depth.

Any opinions on the medieval vs early modern thing?
If you're only taking one option why not take something you've not done before; you may find medieval history becomes a major interest for you if you try it :tongue:
I took a very diverse collection of UG and PG modules and loved it! Even though half of my UG degree was international relations I still took 2 medieval modules, and its surprising how often temporally and thematically distant modules complement each other...I'd agree with artful_lounger for you to consider something new as an option :smile:
Maybe look at the countries and the topics that both modules cover? I took a few history modules on China and Japan during university and although I loved both medieval and early modern content, I felt like I could relate more to the early modern content which helped me understand the topics much better. Studying early modern Japan, for example, was fascinating as we looked at its isolation from the entire world and then its opening.

That said, I wouldn't have found out my preference for early modern East Asian history had I not studied medieval history and been able to compare it. Before studying medieval, I assumed I'd much prefer it over early modern (which happened to not be the case). :rambo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending