The Student Room Group

Skip an exam? Still get a grade?

My daughter came home today and when comparing her results with her friends she came accross a situtation I dont understand and wondered if someone could fill in where I dont understand.

She has a friend that was renowned for not showing up at school and staying in bed daily until she felt like appearing roughly dinner time. This friend also skipped two GCSE exams completetly.

The part I dont understand is this friend got better results in the subjects she completetly skipped the exam paper than my daughter that got a B in even though this friend admits to skipping the exam totally.

How does this work. I asked my daughter is she extremely hard working in school?. she replied "no, she hardly ever even comes into school and whilst I have a folder full of work she had nothing to show".

It does not make any sense to me anyone able to explain how it can be?
What exam ? Was there coursework involved?
Reply 2
Sounds like this girl & the school have abused a system that is designed to help hardworking students who genuinely have a crisis & miss an exam (illness, bereavement etc). Very unfair
either the kid lied, did exceptionally well in the exams she didn't skip or your daughter did poorly; or a mix
Reply 4
exams where food and science
A lot of the time if this happens, they will give a grade based off mock exam results. For food there will probably have been coursework, so that’ll be graded
Original post by Wilks8
My daughter came home today and when comparing her results with her friends she came accross a situtation I dont understand and wondered if someone could fill in where I dont understand.

She has a friend that was renowned for not showing up at school and staying in bed daily until she felt like appearing roughly dinner time. This friend also skipped two GCSE exams completetly.

The part I dont understand is this friend got better results in the subjects she completetly skipped the exam paper than my daughter that got a B in even though this friend admits to skipping the exam totally.

How does this work. I asked my daughter is she extremely hard working in school?. she replied "no, she hardly ever even comes into school and whilst I have a folder full of work she had nothing to show".

It does not make any sense to me anyone able to explain how it can be?

Hard to know without the full details. Maybe she had a genuine reason for missing a paper? Maybe she is very bright?
Original post by lucyxnorth
A lot of the time if this happens, they will give a grade based off mock exam results.

They do not use mock exams.
Reply 8
cheers thanks I thought it might be coursework but really did think that if you HAD to complete the final exam to get a result at all. Thanks for letting me know wow she must be a excellent cook then lol.
Reply 9
She used to brag she didn't go to school and everyone that did was slackers or losers in her friend group but she appears to get high grades even on the ones she purposely skipped. I was always surprised how she could be off school so much but hanging around doing what she liked all day long eg town, friends, streets etc. I guess she is a top cook, excellent scientist but only needed to be there 30 ish days out of the year lol. NVM thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by HoldThisL
either the kid lied, did exceptionally well in the exams she didn't skip or your daughter did poorly; or a mix

yes I think from what I am hearing here it is just a mix of all of it. She wasn't lying about the results though as she sent a picture to my daughter. My daughter is convinced though that this girl literally hardly did any coursework and sat next to her in some lessons and bragged she didnt do the work to my daughter. I guess I will never really know all I wanted to know is really, can you get a grade without doing the final exam. Thanks folks cheers
It is hard to say without knowing the marks or any reasons why. What grade did she get?
If you miss an exam then you normally lose all the marks unless you had a good reason to miss and it is accepted, which normally requires proof.
She’s probably lying. Trying to be cool and whatever
Original post by Wilks8
yes I think from what I am hearing here it is just a mix of all of it. She wasn't lying about the results though as she sent a picture to my daughter. My daughter is convinced though that this girl literally hardly did any coursework and sat next to her in some lessons and bragged she didnt do the work to my daughter. I guess I will never really know all I wanted to know is really, can you get a grade without doing the final exam. Thanks folks cheers

you can get a grade by skipping one or two exams, certainly, since there's generally three or more exams for each gcse

equally, if you are unaware of people who claim to have done no revision but are bragging about high grades, welcome to The Student Room
I thought you had to sit every component to receive a grade.
Original post by YaliaV

You've only got to sit 50% (at A level at least, don't see why GCSE would be too different). Saved me this summer when I got ill and missed 2/4 Latin papers.
Reply 16
Original post by YaliaV

Aye me too thats all I was asking but it appears not.
Original post by Interea
You've only got to sit 50% (at A level at least, don't see why GCSE would be too different). Saved me this summer when I got ill and missed 2/4 Latin papers.

I didn’t know that. What grade did you get? If you don’t mind obviously.
Original post by YaliaV
I didn’t know that. What grade did you get? If you don’t mind obviously.

A*, if you've got valid reasons for missing (with evidence) they just estimate marks for the papers you missed based on your relative performances to the rest of the cohort in the other papers.

Quick Reply

Latest