The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark?

I'm not sure how A-Level remarks work so I guess my first question is how do they work? What are the conditions?

I studied
- Maths [Edexcel] [Achieved B]
- Physics [OCR A] [Achieved B]
- CompSci [OCR] [Achieved B]

For physics I am 2 marks from an A and for Maths (which has been shambles because of the whole Edexcel paper leaks) I was about 6 marks from an A.

I applied for computer science at Uni of Manchester and was rejected because they wanted AAB with an A in maths.

Is it worth a remark or should I call the department and tell them my situtation. Would they take into account how messy edexcel were?
Reply 1
Firstly, you should start by contacting - email and phone - manchester as its always worth a try.

For remarks, there are different types. For some exam boards you can pay ~£15 for them to check the adding up of the marks which is a rip-off. Otherwise, you can pay ~£40 to get a remark of the paper, but this could potentially drop a mark, but I’d say go for it.

The way it works is, if they have made a mistake and thus correct it, you get your money back.

Good luck
Reply 2
If you give your college permission they can download your marked Edexcel scripts for free. You can then ask someone to look to see if there was anywhere you could pick up another 6 marks for a better grade but, unless they forgot to mark a page, a 6 mark change in Maths is extremely unlikely so you're best trying something else - like ringing Manchester.

All requests for scripts, clerical checks or reviews of marking have to be made through your college, so talk to them if you're interested.

Quick Reply

Latest