The Student Room Group

Online MSc - University of Bath or York

Hi,

I've made a decision to enroll myselves into an Online MSc in Computer Science programme, and these two stand out with their offers (at least in Europe). I've done lots of effort to get the most informations on both, and what I've concluded thus far is that the York University may be a bit more prestigious, while the CS department at the uni of Bath is a bit superior. Personally, both curricculums seem great and I have no preferences regarding those. I'm fairly certain that I can't make a mistake whatever I choose, but would like to hear an opinion if someone is willing to share? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by gokun
Hi,

I've made a decision to enroll myselves into an Online MSc in Computer Science programme, and these two stand out with their offers (at least in Europe). I've done lots of effort to get the most informations on both, and what I've concluded thus far is that the York University may be a bit more prestigious, while the CS department at the uni of Bath is a bit superior. Personally, both curricculums seem great and I have no preferences regarding those. I'm fairly certain that I can't make a mistake whatever I choose, but would like to hear an opinion if someone is willing to share? Thank you

I am also trying to make the same decision at the moment, having had offers from both.

Based on limited info, my observation was that the Bath modules sounded a lot better, covering things like functional programming which is sought-after in the industry I work in at the moment. I also noticed that individual modules at Bath are smaller in credit value than at York, and obviously the Bath programme is longer (albeit much more expensive), so i'd hope that this would make it less intense, and so more manageable around work.

I am leaning towards Bath at the moment for those reasons. However, it's hard to find any reviews or threads on the Bath course online, so these are all just assumptions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by dishes
I am also trying to make the same decision at the moment, having had offers from both.

Based on limited info, my observation was that the Bath modules sounded a lot better, covering things like functional programming which is sought-after in the industry I work in at the moment. I also noticed that individual modules at Bath are smaller in credit value than at York, and obviously the Bath programme is longer (albeit much more expensive), so i'd hope that this would make it less intense, and so more manageable around work.

I am leaning towards Bath at the moment for those reasons. However, it's hard to find any reviews or threads on the Bath course online, so these are all just assumptions.

Thanks for the opinion.

I'm kinda leaning towards York atm because one of the main reasons for me is to add another line to cv (I do understand its kinda cheesy of me, but I have some work experience and much of the knowledge I could acquire from programme like this I already have).

In that regard, York seems a better option given the fact its cheaper, shorter and the start date is sooner, as simple as that.

I would say that surely one cannot make a bad choice from those two honestly
Reply 3
Have you enrolled on the York course?
I am almost set on the Bath course but having second thoughts to switch to the York one.

Problem is it seems hard to find any experience of the York course.
Reply 4
Original post by gokun
Hi,

I'm not sure that York is more prestigious. League tables aren't everything (and Russell Group is overrated), but Bath has established itself as a top 10 university in national rankings, whereas York is more like top 20. York has a better international reputation (neither are amazing), but Bath ranks higher in CS league tables. Both seem like good universities but so far I've been seeing better feedback for Bath's online MSc than for York's and I got a much better first impression of Bath during the admissions process.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gokun
Hi,

If you are a beginner do not enrol in York. There are no lectures, the tutor you get has 55+ other students and I personally felt unsupported and overwhelmed. I can't speak to Bath but imho it'd be hard to be worse. I get that you need to do more work yourself on a masters but not 100% of it!! This is just my personal opinion.
Reply 7
Original post by gokun
Thanks for the opinion.

I'm kinda leaning towards York atm because one of the main reasons for me is to add another line to cv (I do understand its kinda cheesy of me, but I have some work experience and much of the knowledge I could acquire from programme like this I already have).

In that regard, York seems a better option given the fact its cheaper, shorter and the start date is sooner, as simple as that.

I would say that surely one cannot make a bad choice from those two honestly

Honestly, if you already know most of the curriculum then you'll have an easier time than I did and if I were you I'd go for the cheaper option too. Just bear in mind that even with the amount of research you have obviously done you can still make a bad choice.....
Original post by Rhade
If you are a beginner do not enrol in York. There are no lectures, the tutor you get has 55+ other students and I personally felt unsupported and overwhelmed. I can't speak to Bath but imho it'd be hard to be worse. I get that you need to do more work yourself on a masters but not 100% of it!! This is just my personal opinion.

Hi what program did you do? I'm looking at their MPA online degrees but can't find any reviews. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending