The Student Room Group

Is foundation year really hard? What are the exams like?

How do the universities help you to prepare for exams? Do they give u exam questions to practice and practice papers or past papers? Is it like alevel study? Which would you say is easier alevel or foundation year, probably same right? I need to get 60% to pass, I'm scared that itll be too hard for me even if I try 101100 percent. I really hope that I can access questions to prepare my self for exams to get high grades. The entry requirements for foundation year is BBB-CCC but I got way worse, but they still gave me an offer, probably because it's a new course and less ppl apply to it. What if I'm incapable of passing, then I have nowhere to go
Foundation years are not usually designed to be hard per se, they are designed to get everyone up to the same standard.

You can condsider it A-level standard material, with a university slant (the pointless aspects of certain subjects removed and repalced with more course relevant content)

Like every university course there will be workshops/seminars/assignments/tutorials to practise questions. Universities usually allow you to see past papers, but not the answers.

Original post by Btstrash
How do the universities help you to prepare for exams? Do they give u exam questions to practice and practice papers or past papers? Is it like alevel study? Which would you say is easier alevel or foundation year, probably same right? I need to get 60% to pass, I'm scared that itll be too hard for me even if I try 101100 percent. I really hope that I can access questions to prepare my self for exams to get high grades. The entry requirements for foundation year is BBB-CCC but I got way worse, but they still gave me an offer, probably because it's a new course and less ppl apply to it. What if I'm incapable of passing, then I have nowhere to go
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
Foundation years are not usually designed to be hard per se, they are designed to get everyone up to the same standard.

You can condsider it A-level standard material, with a university slant (the pointless aspects of certain subjects removed and repalced with more course relevant content)

Like every university course there will be workshops/seminars/assignments/tutorials to practise questions. Universities usually allow you to see past papers, but not the answers.

Thank you. I'm super curious about type of questions they ask. Is it more textbook question answers or essays or alevel exam questions? Are the hard like lot to work out think through before getting the answer or more straightforward? The foundation year is in a science degree.
Original post by Btstrash
Thank you. I'm super curious about type of questions they ask. Is it more textbook question answers or essays or alevel exam questions? Are the hard like lot to work out think through before getting the answer or more straightforward? The foundation year is in a science degree.

It's going to vary depending on the lecturer.

For science you can expect them to be similar to A-level formats: short answer questions, calculations, data & graph interpretation, the odd extended answer question.

Some questions will be simple recall, others will take a bit of working, others may twist your mind a bit :mmm:
Reply 4
Original post by EierVonSatan
It's going to vary depending on the lecturer.

For science you can expect them to be similar to A-level formats: short answer questions, calculations, data & graph interpretation, the odd extended answer question.

Some questions will be simple recall, others will take a bit of working, others may twist your mind a bit :mmm:

Aaahh okay, I think I get the gist now tysm for your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest