The Student Room Group

med plan

v sorry, i’ve made so many posts on here trying to figure out what to do but i’m still lost & i just wanna see what anyone else thinks/would do if they were me

I got ABC and i just finished my alevels. I panicked terribly in the chem exams & the C makes everything so much harder & it’s not that close to the B boundary for a remark

I’ve researched and i think i have 2 options
-resit (slight risk i might not get AA) and apply to the only unis that accept my first sit grades, Bristol, Aston, Bart’s?, Southampton.

or
- apply to foundation year this October, for entry in 2024. and again since i didn’t get b in chem my options are
Edgehill, Leeds, Leiscter, Plymouth

if there’s another way someone thinks would work pls lmk

i have only 4 uni options for both and i don’t know what my chances are cause i know medicines already hard enough to get into.
or idk if the foundation years are much more competitive then normal medicine chances

Are my chances completely ruined for medicine?
I would try go into something more attainable but i genuinely don’t think anything else would make me happy at all it’s been what i’ve wanted to do since always, but i also don’t wanna keep applying and wasting like years of my life,
Reply 1
hi, I think resit is prob the best option. it may seem hard but bear in mind they are in june so you have nearly a whole extra yr. if you feel you need to, get a tutor if you can afford it. however I believe kmms might accept aab (non-contextual) - may be worth looking into but they have a bit of a weird selection process for interview. also, did you do an epq? this may also make things a bit easier as I think some med schools accept aab with a in epq. best of luck
[Thread moved to Medicine forum]

I can't answer your questions on applying to med, but have you considered any of the Allied Health Professions? There are still places in clearing for courses such as radiotherapy and oncology:

https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch
Reply 3
Original post by ezisomer
hi, I think resit is prob the best option. it may seem hard but bear in mind they are in june so you have nearly a whole extra yr. if you feel you need to, get a tutor if you can afford it. however I believe kmms might accept aab (non-contextual) - may be worth looking into but they have a bit of a weird selection process for interview. also, did you do an epq? this may also make things a bit easier as I think some med schools accept aab with a in epq. best of luck

ty & sorry what uni is kmns?

i didn’t do an epq no & i the problem is that ngl i revised insanely hard for these exams, i was getting As in chem in revision but i’m worried i’ll panic again and waste a year & and this would be without my schools help too, as for the other B i was so confident in those exams, it was comp sci and the boundaries are so high and they’ll probably be harder next year.
Reply 4
Original post by hhhhheeeee
ty & sorry what uni is kmns?

i didn’t do an epq no & i the problem is that ngl i revised insanely hard for these exams, i was getting As in chem in revision but i’m worried i’ll panic again and waste a year & and this would be without my schools help too, as for the other B i was so confident in those exams, it was comp sci and the boundaries are so high and they’ll probably be harder next year.

hi, kmms is kent and medway medical school. another option I forgot to mention is getting a transfer. if you go into a bioscience or chemistry course at a less competitive uni, you can transfer to med after first year. this is available at a lot of unis. it is competitive but on the plus side, your a levels may not matter as much.
not sure about compsci (if you were close to A boundary you could get a remark?) but chem a level isn't too hard to improve in, if you were getting As predicted there's no reason you can't achieve that if you do a ton of practice exam questions. do you know which topics in chem/compsci you struggled in? because if you do that will help you massively
Reply 5
wait i just researched kmms and they only accept resits in extenuating circumstances
hi, kmms is kent and medway medical school. another option I forgot to mention is getting a transfer. if you go into a bioscience or chemistry course at a less competitive uni, you can transfer to med after first year. this is available at a lot of unis. it is competitive but on the plus side, your a levels may not matter as much.
not sure about compsci (if you were close to A boundary you could get a remark?) but chem a level isn't too hard to improve in, if you were getting As predicted there's no reason you can't achieve that if you do a ton of practice exam questions. do you know which topics in chem/compsci you struggled in? because if you do that will help you massively

if you go into a bioscience or chemistry course at a less competitive uni, you can transfer to med after first year. this is available at a lot of unis.

No! Sgul used to have this but have stopped it. Also, it was a transfer from Bio med only AFTER completing the degree. No unis offer this anymore from my current research and even if they did it was a highly competitive and very poor pathway option for most
Reply 7
Original post by Chi chi5
if you go into a bioscience or chemistry course at a less competitive uni, you can transfer to med after first year. this is available at a lot of unis.

No! Sgul used to have this but have stopped it. Also, it was a transfer from Bio med only AFTER completing the degree. No unis offer this anymore from my current research and even if they did it was a highly competitive and very poor pathway option for most

on medic portal it says leicester, aru, sussex uni, plymouth and newcastle offer it and barts offer at end of 2nd yr. but I'm not sure how up to date this info is. yes this is a very competitive route, like I said resit is the best option.
Reply 8
on medic portal it says leicester, aru, sussex uni, plymouth and newcastle offer it and barts offer at end of 2nd yr. but I'm not sure how up to date this info is. yes this is a very competitive route, like I said resit is the best option.

also I should mention, these unis normally only accept students transferring from certain courses within their own uni. not from other unis.
Reply 9

what do you think about applying for the foundation year route? i heard it’s a tiny bit less competitive then normal med 5 year entry?

i don’t know what topics i struggled in since i thought i was pretty good with everything (clearly not😀) & i just don’t think i can get A*A* which is apparently what some unis want after retake
your chances are defo not ruined. resit your alevels. maybe apply to 2 foundation 2 a100 and 1 dent. try your best with your resit.

hopefully you will worse case accepted into your foundation med. even then, you can try clearing for med even though this is highly based off luck therefore unlikely.

worse worse case, you can do a degree and then apply.

you have options. believe in yourself and work really hard.

Hi, I have it on good authority that on Barts & the London the transfer is after you finish your degree and you need to be in the top 19 students in the pharmacology, biomed and neuroscience degrees... you're literally battling hundreds of other people to be one of the 19 highest-ranked, which isn't a pretty fight. I remember that before the St George's transfer scheme closed, they said that they had about 70 applicants per place on the transfer scheme... transfer schemes are brutal and in my opinion the hardest way to get into Medicine (even harder than GEM) and are best avoided unless you can help it...

OP, I think you stand a better chance resitting your A-Levels and applying to a standard A100 course. Every other way into Medicine will have more competition than the standard course, which you ideally want to avoid.

Edit to say, silly me, as someone suggested above, you can apply to a combination of places and that's probably a better idea, particularly if you can prioritise the places with less applicants per place. You should apply to the places that play up to your strengths, and applying for a foundation or an A-Level resit are not mutually exclusive, so pick and choose the four ones that you think will give you the highest chance of success.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
what do you think about applying for the foundation year route? i heard it’s a tiny bit less competitive then normal med 5 year entry?

i don’t know what topics i struggled in since i thought i was pretty good with everything (clearly not😀) & i just don’t think i can get A*A* which is apparently what some unis want after retake

Do you have WP flags for foundation courses? As if so, first sit requirements are likely to be lower, even for A100 courses, which opens up more options.
But generally FOundation courses are more competitive than the comparative A100 courses, not less
Reply 13

foundation year route is a good idea but I was under the impression you needed some sort of contextual background? if you meet the criteria then go for it, but check carefully as these may vary slightly for each uni. I'm also fairly certain that with your school's permission you can apply for transcripts of your a level exam papers to see where you went wrong.
Reply 14
Original post by anony898r309ur
your chances are defo not ruined. resit your alevels. maybe apply to 2 foundation 2 a100 and 1 dent. try your best with your resit.

hopefully you will worse case accepted into your foundation med. even then, you can try clearing for med even though this is highly based off luck therefore unlikely.

worse worse case, you can do a degree and then apply.

you have options. believe in yourself and work really hard.

thank you (:
i was thinking of doing the 2 foundation and 2 straight with a resit/ pending grade. but is it possible to apply with 2 separate grade sets ? like as in cause the foundation years i’m pretty sure don’t let you apply with resits/have a max grade cut off, like u cant have an A in chem so if i were to get the grade through resit i think my foundation offers would be gone?? i’m not sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending