The Student Room Group

Duncan of Jondanstone College of Art & Design - Djcad 2020 entry

I'm applying for the general foundation art course at djcad for 2020 entry. If any one wants to chat about applying for the same course or even just about applying to art uni or maybe making a portfolio I'm up for that too. I am also planning on going to one of the open days in November to get some questions answered so if u want to get me to ask something I can do that too.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by murraykirst
I'm applying for the general foundation art course at djcad for 2020 entry. If any one wants to chat about applying for the same course or even just about applying to art uni or maybe making a portfolio I'm up for that too. I am also planning on going to one of the open days in November to get some questions answered so if u want to get me to ask something I can do that too.

Hi Murraykirst
I'm toying with applying for this course too, but am struggling to find reviews for the course online... It's a lot of money to fork out, if it's not a good course - can you tell me what research you did, and what your findings were? Many thanks,
Reply 2
Original post by perpetualmph
Hi Murraykirst
I'm toying with applying for this course too, but am struggling to find reviews for the course online... It's a lot of money to fork out, if it's not a good course - can you tell me what research you did, and what your findings were? Many thanks,

I would suggest the open days which there are two, I think on the first and second of november, there you can go to talks about the first year and all of the courses you can do from second year. You can also talk to the people who review the portfolio as well.
For me I had already been to a convention called deecon, 4 times by the point that I first applied, which is run by the 4th year animation students and is held at the union on the campus usually in April. So through that I already had some experience with meeting a good amount of students that were going to djcad. For me that really helped to see what the students were like and I got on really well with them.
I also went to the degree shows to see what the work the students were actually producing from each department which I decided that I really like the work of the illustration and animation. You could probably just look up the tag #djcad on Instagram and see a lot of what the students are doing.
I don't really know of many reviews of the first year and your best bet would be to go to the open day because usually there are a lot of first years helping out and you could talk to them.
Reply 3
Hi, hopefully you can help, i’m hoping to submit my ucas application soon but i’m really confused about the portfolio process for djcad and also all other scottish art schools. when i submit my application do i immediately need to upload my digital portfolio or is there like a wait or something? bc my portfolio isn’t near done but i want to get my application in soon :c thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by carlylm6
Hi, hopefully you can help, i’m hoping to submit my ucas application soon but i’m really confused about the portfolio process for djcad and also all other scottish art schools. when i submit my application do i immediately need to upload my digital portfolio or is there like a wait or something? bc my portfolio isn’t near done but i want to get my application in soon :c thank you!

I'm not 100% on this but I believe once you submit your UCAS form you will get a conformation email from the uni's. That may have instructions on where to go to upload your digital portfolio and how to do it. Or you may have to wait and see if you get through that stage before they tell you where and what to do? For some uni's they start to take people at that stage I don't think djcad does that though. I know for djcad you can submit it the digital portfolio up until the 30th of January I think the other uni's have a similar date or at least when I applied to Edinburgh it was around that time too. You may want to look on the uni's websites because they will have more info on their own application process.
If you have any more questions I will answer them to the best of my ability or even just talk about portfolios in general I'm open to chat
Reply 5
Heya! I also applied for the General Foundation course 2020 amongst other degrees! I have recently received my invitation to submit my portfolio so working on that now
Reply 6
I also have a question though... Do you know whether it's possible to get rejected even though you haven't had a chance to upload your portfolio yet or submit your qualifications?
Reply 7
Original post by Loloztya
I also have a question though... Do you know whether it's possible to get rejected even though you haven't had a chance to upload your portfolio yet or

I believe that the only way you can get rejected before uploading your portfolio is if you miss the deadline on the 31st of January to upload it. In terms of submitting your qualifications do you mean if you are taking a course now but won't have the final grade until next year?
Reply 8
Yeah I thought the same because I've recently been notified that I got rejected by the illustration and animation course even though I didn't get to submit my portfolio yet? And yeah same thing with my final grades. I'll have my finals around May and the results should be in by June. I just thought it weird that they rejected me without having anything to judge me on...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
But oh well! I still got invited to submit my portfolio for the General Foundation course so I'm still hoping to get into that!! Also: Merry Christmas everyone
But oh well! I still got invited to submit my portfolio for the General Foundation course so I'm still hoping to get into that!! Also: Merry Christmas everyone

Have you emailed them to check? I remember seeing a 14 day limit to up load a digital portfolio once you get invited. I emailed them and they told me that it wasn't something to worry about. I thought it may be for the people applying to 2nd year?
Merry Christmas to you to!
Have you emailed them to check? I remember seeing a 14 day limit to up load a digital portfolio once you get invited. I emailed them and they told me that it wasn't something to worry about. I thought it may be for the people applying to 2nd year?

Yeah I'll try to do that... Because I haven't even received an invitation to submit the portfolio for the courses I automatically got rejected by. Thanks for the help!!
Yeah I'll try to do that... Because I haven't even received an invitation to submit the portfolio for the courses I automatically got rejected by. Thanks for the help!!

No problem, I know they have changed things this year so I'm not sure if they have told everyone about it because I found out through the open day and there's some info on the portfolio section on the foundation course that is wrong.
No problem, I know they have changed things this year so I'm not sure if they have told everyone about it because I found out through the open day and there's some info on the portfolio section on the foundation course that is wrong.

Ohh okay... Do you recall what exactly has been changed and what information is wrong?
Ohh okay... Do you recall what exactly has been changed and what information is wrong?

The part under the "After you have been invited" part it says "You will have fourteen days to upload your portfolio. If you are invited after Friday 10 January 2020, you have to upload your portfolio before Friday 31 January 2020." Which I emailed them about and that's isn't right it's just the final deadline no 14 day limit but it's still on the site.
The part under the "After you have been invited" part it says "You will have fourteen days to upload your portfolio. If you are invited after Friday 10 January 2020, you have to upload your portfolio before Friday 31 January 2020." Which I emailed them about and that's isn't right it's just the final deadline no 14 day limit but it's still on the site.

Ohhh yeah I was actually wondering about that. Good to know that it's not true! Thank you
Ohhh yeah I was actually wondering about that. Good to know that it's not true! Thank you

Yeah I guess it was for those who are applying outside of the UK/eu or something but they haven't clarified it yet. Have you heard from the uni about getting rejected before sending in a portfolio?
Yeah I guess it was for those who are applying outside of the UK/eu or something but they haven't clarified it yet. Have you heard from the uni about getting rejected before sending in a portfolio?

No... Haven't heard anything back yet. But I guess I'll get an reply once they're back from holidays on 20 January.
No... Haven't heard anything back yet. But I guess I'll get an reply once they're back from holidays on 20 January.

Yeah let me know what they say cos I'm pretty sure you had to put in a digital portfolio if you were applying for second year before you get a place or not but maybe they changed that this year too. How are you getting on with your digital portfolio?

Quick Reply

Latest