The Student Room Group

applying to university with high ucas points but not all minimum grade requirements?

This will be a long spill of info so for that I apologise lol, but any help you can give me will be so helpful!

So I am completing my last A level exam tomorrow, for Design technology.
I won't bore you with the long list of personal mental health and educational issues I have, but these have been amplified hugely over the last 2 years, which has massively effected my ability in college. I put DT on the back burner as I was convinced I'd be able to catch up in time, but I was mistaken lol.
I am in a small predicament currently in regards to A level results and applying to university.
I am staying at my college for an extra year to complete a level 4 art and design foundation (roughly equal to the first year of a 3 year degree, doesn't equate directly to ucas points)
After the extra year I will be going to university and will have made those applications in Jan 2024.
Luckily my top university choice runs mostly on portfolio, they haven't got huge preferences with A level grades (students have previously got in with just one A level)
This school is incredibly difficult to get in to, and while I believe in myself I will of course need back up universities.
Both backups I am interested in have a minimum entry requirement of B,B,C. And both uni's list next to that the ucas points needed at 104-120.
Due to my difficulties this year I am 100% not going to get a C for Design Technology. However with my other 2 A levels I am predicted A*,A.
A*,A,D adds up to 128 ucas points, making me in that regard well over the requirement.
I have contacted the admissions team of both universities and explained my issue, and asked if I can still get a place even though the one D is a grade different but I am still well in there acceptance range in terms of points. As well as my added high qualification of a level 4 foundation that I will have achieved by then. I got vague answers, sounding as if they didn't even read the email properly. Basically saying hmm don't really know but you should deffo apply anyway!...... like wtf?
Anyway I have the option to try again and resit the 2 DT exams next june to get the C but obviously I would prefer to not have to do that.

Sorry again this is such a massive piece of info but I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and has an insight into my chances.
(edited 10 months ago)
It depends what university you'll be applying to. Some will accept UCAS points and so you're grade wont matter while others specifically request for certain grades in each subject. If they do ask for grades, and don't mention UCAS points then its likely you'll not be accepted if you don't meet the grades.This should be detailed in the entry requirements listed for their course.
As you're sitting your A-levels this year, have you applied for a deferred entry or applying afresh next year? If you're applying fresh, then you'll just need a little searching to see what entry requirements meet your achieved grades.
Original post by Leilamertz
This will be a long spill of info so for that I apologise lol, but any help you can give me will be so helpful!

So I am completing my last A level exam tomorrow, for Design technology.
I won't bore you with the long list of personal mental health and educational issues I have, but these have been amplified hugely over the last 2 years, which has massively effected my ability in college. I put DT on the back burner as I was convinced I'd be able to catch up in time, but I was mistaken lol.
I am in a small predicament currently in regards to A level results and applying to university.
I am staying at my college for an extra year to complete a level 4 art and design foundation (roughly equal to the first year of a 3 year degree, doesn't equate directly to ucas points)
After the extra year I will be going to university and will have made those applications in Jan 2024.
Luckily my top university choice runs mostly on portfolio, they haven't got huge preferences with A level grades (students have previously got in with just one A level)
This school is incredibly difficult to get in to, and while I believe in myself I will of course need back up universities.
Both backups I am interested in have a minimum entry requirement of B,B,C. And both uni's list next to that the ucas points needed at 104-120.
Due to my difficulties this year I am 100% not going to get a C for Design Technology. However with my other 2 A levels I am predicted A*,A.
A*,A,D adds up to 128 ucas points, making me in that regard well over the requirement.
I have contacted the admissions team of both universities and explained my issue, and asked if I can still get a place even though the one D is a grade different but I am still well in there acceptance range in terms of points. As well as my added high qualification of a level 4 foundation that I will have achieved by then. I got vague answers, sounding as if they didn't even read the email properly. Basically saying hmm don't really know but you should deffo apply anyway!...... like wtf?
Anyway I have the option to try again and resit the 2 DT exams next june to get the C but obviously I would prefer to not have to do that.

Sorry again this is such a massive piece of info but I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and has an insight into my chances.

Assuming you’re applying for creative courses then most universities will have an alternative offer for applicants with a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (whether the level 3 or level 4 version - both variants end with a L4 fmp). They aren’t likely to consider tariff points from A levels if you’re applying while studying for a FAD

Which universities are you looking at?

(Note a l4 FAD isn’t equivalent to year 1 of a degree, the first third of a l4 fad is at l3 so a l4 FAD does award 120 credits at l4).
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending