The Student Room Group

Duncan of Jondanstone College of Art & Design - Djcad 2020 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I also just received a rejection!
Original post by aoifioa
I also just received a rejection!

Do you have an other place you can go or want to go to?
Reply 82
Original post by Veraberg
Do you have an other place you can go or want to go to?

I have an unconditional offer from Manchester School of Art!! Unfortunately missed out on Glasgow by 1 mark in the interview according to my feedback which would have been my first choice! Oh well!
Original post by aoifioa
I have an unconditional offer from Manchester School of Art!! Unfortunately missed out on Glasgow by 1 mark in the interview according to my feedback which would have been my first choice! Oh well!

Glad you have an offer and place to go next year
Yeah I got a rejection as well. It will be interesting to hear when people hear back on getting offers this year.
I have just been rejected for that course because apparently my portfolio wasn't at their entry standards for this year. I also applied for Product Design at Dundee but I guess the outcome will be the same. 😔 I was really excited to study there
Original post by carlota_sainz
I have just been rejected for that course because apparently my portfolio wasn't at their entry standards for this year. I also applied for Product Design at Dundee but I guess the outcome will be the same. 😔 I was really excited to study there

I got the same note for general foundation but with the same portfolio received a conditional offer for textile design
Original post by carlota_sainz

That is the note that they give out for all rejections that I've seen you can get feedback if you email them but I don't know what kind of feed back they give for the digital one.
I got the same note for general foundation but with the same portfolio received a conditional offer for textile design

well you just made me feel a bit better lol, thank you :smile: and I am really happy that you received the offer! Congrats and best wishes
Reply 89
I also got that my portfolio wasn't at a good enough standard, I feel like maybe that was what they sent out to everyone!
To those who were rejected like me, had you been invited to an interview even If It was cancelled due to coronavirus?
Reply 91
i applied to animation, illustration and general foundation at djcad and got rejected for all three. absolutely gutted as animation was my first choice but would have been happy to go into foundation. i've sent the uni an email asking about transfers because i wanna study there so bad –– kinda confused as i thought i had a pretty good shot at getting in seeing how i have a HNC in graphic design and about to get my HND. can't help but feel like if i had the in person interview i would have had a better shot..
Reply 92
Original post by sazkus
i applied to animation, illustration and general foundation at djcad and got rejected for all three. absolutely gutted as animation was my first choice but would have been happy to go into foundation. i've sent the uni an email asking about transfers because i wanna study there so bad –– kinda confused as i thought i had a pretty good shot at getting in seeing how i have a HNC in graphic design and about to get my HND. can't help but feel like if i had the in person interview i would have had a better shot..

I applied only for the general foundation and got a rejection yesterday. I feel the same as you, if I had gotten the chance to be interviewed I think I would’ve gotten an offer. I also have HNC Art and Design which is the equivalent to first year of uni. Very confused as to how my portfolio wasn’t “to the entry standards” for a first year place when I have already studied and completed the equivalent of first year at art school. My guess is that the coronavirus thing has just screwed a lot of us over this year, it sucks.
I’ve not applied for any other courses as I only wanted to go to Dundee, will just need to do another year at college now.
Reply 93
Original post by ktmrris
I applied only for the general foundation and got a rejection yesterday. I feel the same as you, if I had gotten the chance to be interviewed I think I would’ve gotten an offer. I also have HNC Art and Design which is the equivalent to first year of uni. Very confused as to how my portfolio wasn’t “to the entry standards” for a first year place when I have already studied and completed the equivalent of first year at art school. My guess is that the coronavirus thing has just screwed a lot of us over this year, it sucks.
I’ve not applied for any other courses as I only wanted to go to Dundee, will just need to do another year at college now.

I feel the exact same as the two of yee! I am applying from Ireland and I have also just completed the equivalent of first year of art college. Also feel like I would have had a better chance if I had been interviewed or they had gotten to see my portfolio and sketchbooks. It doesn't make me feel as bad now that I am not alone. Coronavirus has literally ruined everything!!
Original post by aoifioa
I feel the exact same as the two of yee! I am applying from Ireland and I have also just completed the equivalent of first year of art college. Also feel like I would have had a better chance if I had been interviewed or they had gotten to see my portfolio and sketchbooks. It doesn't make me feel as bad now that I am not alone. Coronavirus has literally ruined everything!!

One thing I will say is that art is different from other subjects is that the uni's don't see hnc or hnd as a first year or second year. I've done hnd with an A for my graded unit this is my third rejection from them and I first applied in hnd. I would defiantly recommend you do the hnd if you can but I would suggest that if they have a unit that could help you get into '3rd year' then I would do it cos I didn't and I think that could have helped a bit.
Reply 95
Original post by aoifioa

honestly yeah. kinda glad i’m not alone with this one. i got an unconditional from abertay so i’ve emailed djcad to see about transferring after my first year there. the animation course at djcad is the one i have my heart set on and i don’t rly wanna do anything else. it’s a shame they never even offered skype interviews.
Original post by sazkus
honestly yeah. kinda glad i’m not alone with this one. i got an unconditional from abertay so i’ve emailed djcad to see about transferring after my first year there. the animation course at djcad is the one i have my heart set on and i don’t rly wanna do anything else. it’s a shame they never even offered skype interviews.

I was surprised as well considering the Skype interviews is the one thing that they could do without contact but maybe they viewed it as more fair to not have any. Tell me what they say about transfers. I think I may apply to the 2nd year animation/illustration next year even though I really want to go into the first year I just think that once your out of school you don't get a lot of options to help your portfolio that you dont have to pay for.
I am currently doing an art and design foundation diploma and I highly recommend it, I know there are not a lot in scotland, but if you want to get entry into year 2 I would highly recommend it. I am currently studying it at De Montfort University and we get a lot of support in making portfolios and I think that if I hadn't done the foundation I wouldn't be able to get into textile design year 2. I don't know if textile design is easier to get into in year 2 but it is worth the try in my opinion.
Reply 98
I am currently doing an art and design foundation diploma and I highly recommend it, I know there are not a lot in scotland, but if you want to get entry into year 2 I would highly recommend it. I am currently studying it at De Montfort University and we get a lot of support in making portfolios and I think that if I hadn't done the foundation I wouldn't be able to get into textile design year 2. I don't know if textile design is easier to get into in year 2 but it is worth the try in my opinion.

sadly i don’t think i’ll be able to do that as i would have to pay for any course below the current course i’m on as the government would not cover the fees. gonna wait and hear what they say about transfers!

I do know that the two I would like to try getting into are very hard to get a place because usually they are filled with the students coming up from foundation which Is partly why I would rather do the first year. Plus I do want to explore the options and the staff member at the portfolio bit at the open day told me that the foundation year sounded perfect for me.

Quick Reply

Latest