The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Forensic Investigation at Bournemouth Uni

Hi
I plan on studying Forensic science/investigation at Bournemouth Uni and wanted to know how it's like studying this course. If anybody could tell me how the lecturers are like and how the course in general is. Is it easy or difficult? I would like to get some info before I apply so would be very grateful for the replies
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
I plan on studying Forensic science/investigation at Bournemouth Uni and wanted to know how it's like studying this course. If anybody could tell me how the lecturers are like and how the course in general is. Is it easy or difficult? I would like to get some info before I apply so would be very grateful for the replies

Hi, I'm pleased to hear you're considering studying at BU. With regards to the difficulty of the course, I can't comment as it really is personal perception and each student has their own strong and weak points. I can however say that the first year of most courses is generally very basic, aiming to bring all students up to a similar level ready for the second year, so I really wouldn't worry too much.

For example, on my course, during my first year I had to study chemistry which I was really worried about. However it was pretty basic, and the areas I struggled with I put in extra work at home doing things like past papers, text book questions, YouTube videos etc to ensure I understood fully. Other students are also there to ask as well as your lecturers and most courses have PAL leaders to help you too (students in the year above).

The students I know who study forensic science at BU absolutely love it and say it's a great course.

I would encourage you to fully study the course page and ordinarily advise visiting us on an open day but appreciate as an international student that may not be possible. You may wish to consider contacting one of the lecturers to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck with your application, if you have any questions about Bournemouth or BU in general please ask, it's a great place to live and study.

Vicki
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Thank u Vicki for the info. I will actually be attending an open day on October 26 and hope to learn more about Bournemouth.
Reply 3
I also wanted to know whether this course is recognised worldwide especially in the USA and Canada.
I also wanted to know whether this course is recognised worldwide especially in the USA and Canada.

It's great you're coming to the open day, I really hope you enjoy it :-)

Our course is accredited with Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences, which currently has members in over 60 countries.

If you have time before attending the open day I would perhaps contact any of the internal regulatory bodies in the USA and Canada along with a couple of institutions out there to see what their job requirements would be, that way you can attend the open day armed with questions for the academic staff and current students.

From a quick search I have found FEPAC in the USA and CSFS in Canada that it may be worth contacting for advice.

Please let me know if I can help further or you need any help with the open day.

Many Thanks

Vicki
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Could u also give me some advice on how I should write my personel statement for forensics
Hi

Was there a crime at Bournemouth uni? 😵
Could u also give me some advice on how I should write my personel statement for forensics

I would start by fully researching the courses you are applying for (each uni will likely have different units), and begin writing a list of why YOU want to study forensics.

Your personal statement should ideally refer to what you see yourself doing in the future and how the course will interest and help you achieve this, also focus on how your past experience and hobbies translates across to forensics (problem solving activities etc). Why should the uni pick you, as in what qualities will you bring to the uni? Avoid common cliches and mentioning you want to study forensics because you love certain TV programmes etc, instead you could comment on a particular area of forensics you find interesting and mention any museums you may have visited? Are there any local clubs you could join which are either forensics based or incorporate areas of the career you wish to follow? Uni's love to hear about relevant extracurricular activities.

Other than the above I would recommend reading and watching lots of blogs and vlogs on how to write a personal statement and then work on making it more specific to the courses you are applying to. Be aware that if each uni has a different name for the course, be careful not to single them out when writing about why you wish to do the course.

Hope this helps.

Vicki

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending