The Student Room Group

Doing Chem & Biol A Level but didn’t take Triple in GCSE

I achieved an a* (i’m On wjec spec) in both Chem & Biol in Year 11 and so I chose to do them at A level because of that but since I didn’t take Triple Science, I obviously never covered that side of the spec.

I had my first Biol lesson today and was given a bunch of GCSE topics to revise for a test on Monday. The problem is that there’s some I didn’t cover and therefore have no idea what to do about them as I don’t have the notes. Already I’m behind the rest of my class as I believe all of them did triple at GCSE.

I don’t have an interest in pursuing a career in medicine or any scientific field so would it be best if I change to English Lang & lit (had an a in lit and a* in language although gcse is extremely different to a level as is obvious with this post) and choose another a level alongside English. I have an interest in pursuing a career in Law so English could be beneficial to that. I’m also doing Maths & History.

I know you can’t decide for me but I’m looking for advisement on this and I’m most likely going to ask my teachers what they think would be best. I’m yet to have a Chemistry Lesson.
If u want a career in a humanities subject, would it not be beneficial to do more essay based subjects . If I enjoy chem/ bio, you could of course keep them. I think the gcse content will be covered because the teachers realise that not everybody does triple. For chemistry, for me it was just titration calculations and some organic chemistry that I had done already.
it would be good to keep biology (or chemistry) if you like it and can put in the work - while the test on monday might not go so well since you haven't done triple topics like the others, your teachers will understand that and you have the whole two years to learn those topics up to a-level standard. a science subject/background is good for anything, including law; it shows you have skills in practical work and are rational alongside other things. however, if you only took bio/chem because you got an a*, it's probably worth changing.

english lang and lit is also a good idea, but involves lots of reading; if you're prepared for that alongside 3 other a-levels, it's worth it.

you could drop both biology and chemistry and take english lang/lit and another a-level, but if you can't find another a-level to do and really want to do 4 or if you do indeed like biology or chemistry, you can take one science and do english lang/lit and you'll have a well-rounded set of subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest