The Student Room Group

Should I pick A-level maths?

I have been considering picking A-level maths and although it isn't my strongest subject, I do believe that with discipline and effort I'll understand it.
I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by BuffWoman
I have been considering picking A-level maths and although it isn't my strongest subject, I do believe that with discipline and effort I'll understand it.

What are your future goals - uni / job /something else? Are you looking at doing science or social science or economics or something in the future? Is Maths required for your career ambitions? Are you doing GCSEs at the moment, and what is your target / expected grade in the exams?

There's no right answer to your question :smile:
Reply 2
I want to go to uni to study dentistry and although Im already taking bio and chem, I feel like maths will be rlly helpful.
My GCSE results aren't out yet but I was predicted a 7 but I'm quite certain I must've achieved a 6 especially bcz of grade boundaries rising this year. I would mostly cram for maths for exams but I do believe that if I was to put in the required work, I would do well but its still discouraging since I hear abt A* pupils rlly struggling. :/
Reply 3
Original post by davros
What are your future goals - uni / job /something else? Are you looking at doing science or social science or economics or something in the future? Is Maths required for your career ambitions? Are you doing GCSEs at the moment, and what is your target / expected grade in the exams?

There's no right answer to your question :smile:

I want to go to uni to study dentistry and although Im already taking bio and chem, I feel like maths will be rlly helpful.
My GCSE results aren't out yet but I was predicted a 7 but I'm quite certain I must've achieved a 6 especially bcz of grade boundaries rising this year. I would mostly cram for maths for exams but I do believe that if I was to put in the required work, I would do well but its still discouraging since I hear abt A* pupils rlly struggling. :/
Reply 4
It depends, if you would be picking it just cause everyone else does but it has no relations to what you wanna do, then no. If you want to go into a field that an A level in maths is needed, then absolutely - with enough work you can definitely get an A star in it

Its a great subject at A level, a subject that many courses at uni require ( you can check on uni entry criteria pages ) , i would say, if you put in solid work throughout the year for a level maths, that would end in a better result that cramming, but its a fun subject, and many of the people i know who have achieved an A* at a level maths, will say that is not the most difficult subject out their ( Further maths is harder to get an A* for example) so if your willing to put in the work during the year, youd find it okay, of course it also depends upon what gcse grade you get, so you can use that as an indicator of how strong you actually are in maths

I wouldnt take A level Maths in your position. You might need grade 7 GCSE Maths for some schools though. Do you research fully. Chem and Biol should be fine with another academic subject.

A level maths is great for multiple fields. And, it is very good to fall onto if you want to do something different if you don't enjoy or have luck with your other A levels.

A-level maths is barely a step up from GCSE maths. If you are genuinely willing to put in effort I'm sure it will go great!!
You should definitely complete AS level and see how you feel though. I will say that second year is slightly harder than first but still manageable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest