The Student Room Group

A-Levels :(

So I studied my first year of A-Levels and this September I started my second year. My two years consist of A-Level exams at the end of the second year and no AS Levels during the first year.

I have decided to drop one of my subjects as it’s affecting my mental health and my grades for that subject are really bad. I just don’t want to continue with that subject and want to start afresh.

My sixth form won’t let me drop that subject and go back to Year 12 again. I am willing to study the two year course again and go back by one year.

I’ve since then decided to transfer sixth forms but once I told my teachers of my plan - two of them said that the sixth form will charge me for leaving but they said they aren’t sure how much.

My education is free as I am 17 years old.

The new sixth form that I plan to attend called my current sixth form and asked if they will charge for leaving but they replied back saying no.

Please help me out. Will they charge me for leaving or are they trying to scare me? Also do you know if Sixth Forms are able to let a student go back by one year? I’m stressed out and need advice.

Thank you very much
Original post by ariarasoul20
So I studied my first year of A-Levels and this September I started my second year. My two years consist of A-Level exams at the end of the second year and no AS Levels during the first year.

I have decided to drop one of my subjects as it’s affecting my mental health and my grades for that subject are really bad. I just don’t want to continue with that subject and want to start afresh.

My sixth form won’t let me drop that subject and go back to Year 12 again. I am willing to study the two year course again and go back by one year.

I’ve since then decided to transfer sixth forms but once I told my teachers of my plan - two of them said that the sixth form will charge me for leaving but they said they aren’t sure how much.

My education is free as I am 17 years old.

The new sixth form that I plan to attend called my current sixth form and asked if they will charge for leaving but they replied back saying no.

Please help me out. Will they charge me for leaving or are they trying to scare me? Also do you know if Sixth Forms are able to let a student go back by one year? I’m stressed out and need advice.

Thank you very much

Unless you pay fees to attend your sixth form I don’t think that they can charge you and it is most likely a scare tactic to make you not leave. There were plenty of people in my year who either moved after year 12 to a different school or who retook year 12 and they had no fees to pay. I really wouldn’t worry about it because it sounds like they’re putting you under enough stress as it is, a levels can be really daunting and the jump from GCSE’s is massive, I really struggled personally as I moved schools for sixth form and I just found that I never settled and I wasn’t able to drop the subject that I wanted to because I ended up failing another one at the end of year 12. Try to keep calm and it sounds like you’re doing the right thing by looking into a different sixth form because the one you’re talking about really doesn’t sound very positive. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending