The Student Room Group

A Level advice (biology)

I'm currently year 12 doing maths, history + english lit and am wondering if I would be able to do an AS in biology as well??

I was going to pick it as a fourth subject but on results day was shot down by a teacher saying it would be too much, now I'm regretting this decision.

The only difficult thing would be doing the practical assessments. Anyone got any advice? would this maybe work?
Original post by theguitar.13
I'm currently year 12 doing maths, history + english lit and am wondering if I would be able to do an AS in biology as well??

I was going to pick it as a fourth subject but on results day was shot down by a teacher saying it would be too much, now I'm regretting this decision.

The only difficult thing would be doing the practical assessments. Anyone got any advice? would this maybe work?

Why do you want to do a fourth subject? What do you think it is going to improve?
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair

Why do you want to do a fourth subject? What do you think it is going to improve?

As maths is my only STEM kind of subject I feel like doing another factual based A-level would mean my maths is less detached and I would use it more? If you see what I mean. And by doing an AS rather than a full A-level I'm not swamping myself in work but I still get the variety

As maths is my only STEM kind of subject I feel like doing another factual based A-level would mean my maths is less detached and I would use it more? If you see what I mean. And by doing an AS rather than a full A-level I'm not swamping myself in work but I still get the variety
Do you know what you want to do after A-levels?
You don't do very much maths in biology (I would know, because I do A-level biology) and pretty much all of it is GCSE level maths. I believe the practical endorsement is only part of the A-level syllabus and not the AS level syllabus, so that theoretically should not be too much of an issue.
Reply 4
I didn't realise that about the practical exams so thank you! Yes online it says that practical skills are examined in written work only. I also don't know what I want to do after A-Levels hence my subjects are kind of all over the place
Reply 5
Original post by flowersinmyhair

You don't do very much maths in biology (I would know, because I do A-level biology) and pretty much all of it is GCSE level maths. I believe the practical endorsement is only part of the A-level syllabus and not the AS level syllabus, so that theoretically should not be too much of an issue.

I didn't realise that about the practical exams so thank you!
Yes online it says that practical skitis are examined in written work only. I also aon't know what l want to do after A-Levels hence my subjects are kind of all over the place

I didn't realise that about the practical exams so thank you!
Yes online it says that practical skitis are examined in written work only. I also aon't know what l want to do after A-Levels hence my subjects are kind of all over the place
I would probably say don't do the AS level and focus on doing well in the A-levels you are currently doing, as that will likely do you more favours if you do well in the three A-levels you are currently doing than doing not so well in three A-levels and an AS

Quick Reply

Latest