The Student Room Group

The BBC 'dumbing down'?

I think they are. Lately ive been watchin a few docs or programmes on the bbc that seem to be sinking fast in thei level... almost down to ITV.
Shows like British Isles - a natural history on bbc1 and the mark steel lectures (bbc4 on bbc2), seem to be assuming everyone who watches them is stupid and is only interested in celebrities and has a short attention span - its getting very annoying.
The other day was shocking. I caught the start of the news, and the link used into new items was 'However'. Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't using this imply that the item before is directly related to the one being introduced?

Its almost as bad as ITV :frown: If you want good news switch on Radio Four :smile:
Reply 2
if i want good news ill turn it all off. that is the good news
Moochy
if i want good news ill turn it all off. that is the good news

I get rather depressed by the 'War On Terror' and 'Iraq Crisis' that is on every single night. The world is such a miserable place at the moment :frown: If only we had a big cup of hot chocolate; we could solve all the world's problems in an instant.
Scottus_Mus
I get rather depressed by the 'War On Terror' and 'Iraq Crisis' that is on every single night. The world is such a miserable place at the moment :frown: If only we had a big cup of hot chocolate; we could solve all the world's problems in an instant.

Yes but only if it was instant hot chocolate. :tongue:

I agree - it's all rather depressing.
Moochy
I think they are. Lately ive been watchin a few docs or programmes on the bbc that seem to be sinking fast in thei level... almost down to ITV.
Shows like British Isles - a natural history on bbc1 and the mark steel lectures (bbc4 on bbc2), seem to be assuming everyone who watches them is stupid and is only interested in celebrities and has a short attention span - its getting very annoying.

"Dumbing down", or just accessible to normal people ? And you should probably realise that the Mark Steel Lectures are done with tongue firmly in cheek. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Dr. Blazed
"Dumbing down", or just accessible to normal people ? And you should probably realise that the Mark Steel Lectures are done with tongue firmly in cheek. :rolleyes:

Mark Steels were proper bo, although for some reason Im seeing or hearing loads of stuff by him, and im not even trying.
Reply 7
It does seem to be dumbing down.
At the end of programs you are told what is on next, and then throughout the break you are again told, and then again over the multicultural, politically correct, equal oppertunity clip things (the wheelchair dance, tapdancing, etc) Getting told this again and again is tedious.
There also seems to be a sudden influx of reality shows and quix shows, especially focus around celebrities. BBC are meant to serve the minorities, yet focusing on the stars only appeals to the lowest common denomitor...like ITV do.
Reply 8
bbc? Dumbing down? havent you seen saturday night bbc in the alst few years? its been dumbed down for ages!
Reply 9
lessthanthree
Sadly, this is the way the entire british isles is going. "accept this" "tolerate that" "everybody's equal" <--christ, WE KNOW!!! The only reason things like racism and intolerance become an issue is because people keep piping up this crap.

Next they'll be banning christianity because it might offend british muslims/buddhists/atheists etc etc etc.

I hold no bias against anyone disabled, of a different race to myself, or people of religion. I'm just bitter because I hate having political correctness rammed down my throat.

Have you seen Monkey dust by any chance? You might like it. Or think its not PC enough.
Reply 10
lessthanthree
No, I haven't. am i missing out?

-I hope nobody thinks I'm some sortof raging xeno/homo phobic person who tips people out of wheelchairs!!!

You would like it I think. Started out on BBC3 now in a prime timeish slot (around 10-1030 I think)

If you look at the ratings of the channels (Based on audience figures) you could see why the beeb would think that dumbing down might work to increase their figures again.
However anyone that has had to study TV should know about PSB and how BBC must represent minorities and not use commercials, which is totally different to ITVs remits. So with them trying to copy their style it seems a bit risky and a rather dangerous move when the lisense is up for consideration in a couple of years.
Reply 11
Yes, the lisense should be shaken up entirerly with funding going to channel 4 as well. Or a subscription type service where you just pay the lisense if you want to have BBC channels (or PSB channels if Channel 4 are included)

Latest

Trending

Trending