The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
did you see this on the internet? if so, can you post a link please

I bet they drop dramatically next year :frown:
Yep, cos Oxbridge will probably charge the maximum £3000 a year.
Reply 3
This is the article. I read it online this morning.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3561-1354098,00.html
It might be worth for some people reapplying just for Oxford and Cambridge though. I do not agree with tuition fees and top up fees but I'd only be willing to pay the fees if it means getting into Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 5
Damn. This is not a good thing.

How can Oxbridge take more people if they won't apply in the first place?! And how can we do any more to encourage them than we're already doing?? Bah :frown:
Reply 6
The direct press release is here:
UCAS Release
i suppose that may be a good thing, but it might also be the definite no-chancers not applying, so the tutors will perceive the standard to have gone up this year, and then borderline candidates will be knocked back when they could have got in next year!!!! You see, we can read doom into everything
Reply 8
As it has been said it's a bit weird considering this was supposed to be a bumper year for all universities.
kellywood_5
Yep, cos Oxbridge will probably charge the maximum £3000 a year.

EVERYONE will charge £3000 a year.
Reply 10
oh come on. it's only by 1%. And if it's the first drop in four years, presumably this happened four years ago too. and possibly before that. nobody needs to panic- there's always going to be slight variation.
Reply 11
1%?! That's nothing and it can only be expected. I'd be more surprised if the variation had been more consistent over the years so that not even 1% changed.
Reply 12
Yep and the 1% is only 250-odd people... That isn't a massive decline at all. Statistical variation.
hitchhiker_13
EVERYONE will charge £3000 a year.

Not necessarily cos it'll be up to the universities how much they charge.
Universities will charge as much as they reckon people will be willing to pay. Which means the maximum for the best unis
boris
Universities will charge as much as they reckon people will be willing to pay. Which means the maximum for the best unis

Yep, exactly, which means people from working-class backgrounds will once again be put off from applying to unis like Oxbridge. And the class system returns to haunt us...
kellywood_5
Not necessarily cos it'll be up to the universities how much they charge.

Ollie provided a link from The Times which showed which universities are charging which amount, and all of them said £3000 or no comment.
kellywood_5
Yep, exactly, which means people from working-class backgrounds will once again be put off from applying to unis like Oxbridge. And the class system returns to haunt us...

Kinda pisses over the "widening access" programmes the government were trying :rolleyes:
kellywood_5

Kinda pisses over the "widening access" programmes the government were trying :rolleyes:
Reply 19
LOL, yey a duplicate post!! Lets celebrate this historic moment. :smile: :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending