The Student Room Group

UCAS and Direct Application at the same time?

I am asking for an international (Hong Kong) student I am advising. He has sent his UCAS application off already, but we would like to apply directly before the end of January, too. I have searched high and low, and I know he can apply directly, but must we wait until any offers come back from UCAS? Or can we apply directly at the same time?
Original post by Rice_ben78
I am asking for an international (Hong Kong) student I am advising. He has sent his UCAS application off already, but we would like to apply directly before the end of January, too. I have searched high and low, and I know he can apply directly, but must we wait until any offers come back from UCAS? Or can we apply directly at the same time?

All universities with a contract with UCAS are required to put any formal offers through UCAS eventually.

Direct applications are designed as an alternative to UCAS (with the details being passed to UCAS by the university) not as an addition.

If your student makes direct applications in addition to their UCAS application then it’s likely that the conditions of any offer will include declining/withdrawing from their original UCAS choices and applying to the direct university using UCAS Extra.
Reply 2
But would he get in any trouble other than having to withdraw his UCAS application? Is it frowned upon or unacceptable to apply via both means? He will take any offer he gets, I think! We just want to cover all bases and increase the chance of an offer. Thanks for your reply.
Original post by Rice_ben78
But would he get in any trouble other than having to withdraw his UCAS application? Is it frowned upon or unacceptable to apply via both means? He will take any offer he gets, I think! We just want to cover all bases and increase the chance of an offer. Thanks for your reply.

He must not withdraw the UCAS application now that it exists.

It's fine to make applications directly alongside UCAS but any offers will have to go through UCAS eventually.

He needs to think about what he would do if he got 1 or more offers on UCAS and a direct offer that requires him to add that university as a UCAS choice - would he be willing to decline UCAS offers to add the direct university through UCAS extra? What if he was still waiting for a decision on his UCAS choices (they have until May/June)?

If you're advising him then surely you've advised him to apply to universities on UCAS that are likely to make him an offer? Is he a particularly weak applicant?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

It's fine to make applications directly alongside UCAS but any offers will have to go through UCAS eventually.

He needs to think about what he would do if he got 1 or more offers on UCAS and a direct offer that requires him to add that university as a UCAS choice - would he be willing to decline UCAS offers to add the direct university through UCAS extra? What if he was still waiting for a decision on his UCAS choices (they have until May/June)?

If you're advising him then surely you've advised him to apply to universities on UCAS that are likely to make him an offer? Is he a particularly weak applicant?

Not the strongest, and has forceful parents who want him to get a spot. I can keep them at bay until Extra or Clearing, though I hope one of his UCAS choices just makes him an offer.
Original post by PQ

then if an international student is not going to accept an offer from direct application and accept an offer from ucas, applicant don't get in any trouble right? I'm an international and curious too..
Original post by teaaa
then if an international student is not going to accept an offer from direct application and accept an offer from ucas, applicant don't get in any trouble right? I'm an international and curious too..

No trouble but it’s wasting their time and the university’s time applying if they won’t accept an offer.
Original post by PQ
No trouble but it’s wasting their time and the university’s time applying if they won’t accept an offer.

oh yes it is I forgot that😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending