The Student Room Group

ECAA 2020 Entry

Hi guys, I only just found out about the ECAA, and I need some serious practice. Is past papers and maths revision enough? Or is a tutor useful? The economics essay part of the paper, are you meant to answer using A level economics that we learnt in class? Or is it more based on articles i may have read and more opinion based answers?
Original post by Xnowshi
The economics essay part of the paper, are you meant to answer using A level economics that we learnt in class? Or is it more based on articles i may have read and more opinion based answers?

You're supposed to be able to take the test and get into Cambridge without having studied economics at A Level, so they're not going to test us on economic theory in the ECAA. I think it's more based on wider reading you might have done, but of course you can comment on what you've learnt in class that corresponds to the essay topic.
Reply 2
they give you an article/section of text that is usually economics based - in 2019 we had to write an essay on brain drain, however they gave an Economist article to read from. Usually it is common sense, you don't need to use diagrams/market theory or whatever.
The maths is mostly A Level maths but a bit more problem solving style, as long as you practise past ecaa questions/tsa questions it should be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by karsh31
they give you an article/section of text that is usually economics based - in 2019 we had to write an essay on brain drain, however they gave an Economist article to read from. Usually it is common sense, you don't need to use diagrams/market theory or whatever.
The maths is mostly A Level maths but a bit more problem solving style, as long as you practise past ecaa questions/tsa questions it should be fine.

I was trying out this paper for practice and was totally stumped on how to answer section 2 for both 2017 and 2018 because it was like tasks rather than one big essay so I didn't know how to formulate an argument throughout the piece
How did you tackle the q? Man I'm so stressed about section 2 I can't write an essay to save my life
Reply 4
Original post by chicle
I was trying out this paper for practice and was totally stumped on how to answer section 2 for both 2017 and 2018 because it was like tasks rather than one big essay so I didn't know how to formulate an argument throughout the piece
How did you tackle the q? Man I'm so stressed about section 2 I can't write an essay to save my life

I remember using the bullet points as a guide for my main points-
introduction
main point (including point, evidence, analysis and evaluation)
main point
etc.
and then conclusion (your view)
Reply 5
Original post by karsh31
I remember using the bullet points as a guide for my main points-
introduction
main point (including point, evidence, analysis and evaluation)
main point
etc.
and then conclusion (your view)

ohhhhh so you make the different tasks into one essay
oops I was proper being like Advantage 1: ...
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest