Xnowshi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, I only just found out about the ECAA, and I need some serious practice. Is past papers and maths revision enough? Or is a tutor useful? The economics essay part of the paper, are you meant to answer using A level economics that we learnt in class? Or is it more based on articles i may have read and more opinion based answers?
William9090
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xnowshi)
The economics essay part of the paper, are you meant to answer using A level economics that we learnt in class? Or is it more based on articles i may have read and more opinion based answers?
You're supposed to be able to take the test and get into Cambridge without having studied economics at A Level, so they're not going to test us on economic theory in the ECAA. I think it's more based on wider reading you might have done, but of course you can comment on what you've learnt in class that corresponds to the essay topic.
karsh31
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they give you an article/section of text that is usually economics based - in 2019 we had to write an essay on brain drain, however they gave an Economist article to read from. Usually it is common sense, you don't need to use diagrams/market theory or whatever.
The maths is mostly A Level maths but a bit more problem solving style, as long as you practise past ecaa questions/tsa questions it should be fine.
chicle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by karsh31)
they give you an article/section of text that is usually economics based - in 2019 we had to write an essay on brain drain, however they gave an Economist article to read from. Usually it is common sense, you don't need to use diagrams/market theory or whatever.
The maths is mostly A Level maths but a bit more problem solving style, as long as you practise past ecaa questions/tsa questions it should be fine.
I was trying out this paper for practice and was totally stumped on how to answer section 2 for both 2017 and 2018 because it was like tasks rather than one big essay so I didn't know how to formulate an argument throughout the piece
How did you tackle the q? Man I'm so stressed about section 2 I can't write an essay to save my life
karsh31
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chicle)
I was trying out this paper for practice and was totally stumped on how to answer section 2 for both 2017 and 2018 because it was like tasks rather than one big essay so I didn't know how to formulate an argument throughout the piece
How did you tackle the q? Man I'm so stressed about section 2 I can't write an essay to save my life
I remember using the bullet points as a guide for my main points-
introduction
main point (including point, evidence, analysis and evaluation)
main point
etc.
and then conclusion (your view)
chicle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by karsh31)
I remember using the bullet points as a guide for my main points-
introduction
main point (including point, evidence, analysis and evaluation)
main point
etc.
and then conclusion (your view)
ohhhhh so you make the different tasks into one essay
oops I was proper being like Advantage 1: ...
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads