The Student Room Group

full marks in AQA English Lit Paper 1 - AMA!

I somehow managed to get full marks in my GCSE English Lit Paper 1 this Summer, studying the Tempest and Jekyll and Hyde - I'm happy to give tips for this paper if anyone wants any?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Could I have some on how to structure your answer please? And some on Jekyll and Hyde.

Thank you!
Reply 2
Well done :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Roses + Dreams
Could I have some on how to structure your answer please? And some on Jekyll and Hyde.

Thank you!

In terms of structure, I tended to use PEEL, but with about three quotes and explanations for each point! I also made sure to use context and alternate analysis in each paragraph, and to link it to the effect on the reader! Mentioning the author's intentions is also great - just add 'Perhaps the author intended for this to mean..." before your point and it should be good! Also, we were taught to always 'zoom in' on a language technique or single word within a quote and to analyse it in detail. (The noun '....' within this quote highlights...)
Also, I'd recommend alternating paragraphs between analysis of the extract and the text as a whole - 4 paragraphs with a conclusion and an intro was what I wrote in my exam for each text!
I always also put in a quick conclusion at the end - this needs to go beyond whatever you've put in the essay already, but should be linked!

For J+H, seneca.com is amazing for context! I think being able to link every point to either Victorian society, morality, or the Gothic genre as a whole really helps! (I always referenced other Gothic texts which shared similar themes to show I understood the genre) Finally, Mr Bruff is amazing for context and analysis! (Also, learn lots of short quotes! Try and have at least one or two ready to go for each character or theme - make sure these are from different parts of the book though, as if you get a certain extract and only memorised quotes that are in that extract, you're a in a bit of a pickle.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Davy611
Well done :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Is it Seneca Learning that you've referenced? Is that what your school uses for homework and revision? It looks very similar to 'Show My Homework': https://www.teamsatchel.com/
Reply 6
Original post by Davy611
Is it Seneca Learning that you've referenced? Is that what your school uses for homework and revision? It looks very similar to 'Show My Homework': https://www.teamsatchel.com/

it is senecalearning.com yeah - i'd compare it being more similar to say bbc bitesize than show my homework though (https://www.senecalearning.com). essentially, it's free, and contains loads of courses where you work through the gcse content! for example, for jekyll and hyde, it has all of the context, as well as summaries for each chapter, theme, and character! it also has a premium version, but tbh the only benefit is a few 'practise paper' - style courses
my school used firefly for homework - i think that's closer to show my homework
Reply 7
I got 60/64 on this paper and did Macbeth and The Sign of Four if anyone needs specified help for those books. Well done on ur achievement OP
Reply 8
I got 78/80 in my first literature paper lol. MANY people have achieved full marks in one of their reformed GCSE papers (me for my second English language paper lol), so how does it feel to be one of those people?
Reply 9
Original post by Tolgarda
I got 78/80 in my first literature paper lol. MANY people have achieved full marks in one of their reformed GCSE papers (me for my second English language paper lol), so how does it feel to be one of those people?

that's amazing well done! (i'm still buzzing tbh - i only found out yesterday because my school didn't put AQA marks on the original results sheet)
Reply 10
Original post by m2b
I got 60/64 on this paper and did Macbeth and The Sign of Four if anyone needs specified help for those books. Well done on ur achievement OP

thank you! are you doing lit at a-level?
Original post by griffin17
that's amazing well done! (i'm still buzzing tbh - i only found out yesterday because my school didn't put AQA marks on the original results sheet)

It's not that amazing, trust me haha. A Level makes it look **** anyway lol.

What was your overall mark?
it is senecalearning.com yeah - i'd compare it being more similar to say bbc bitesize than show my homework though (https://www.senecalearning.com). essentially, it's free, and contains loads of courses where you work through the gcse content! for example, for jekyll and hyde, it has all of the context, as well as summaries for each chapter, theme, and character! it also has a premium version, but tbh the only benefit is a few 'practise paper' - style courses
my school used firefly for homework - i think that's closer to show my homework

Cool, I'll have a look. Is it straightforward to sign up to Seneca? Thanks.
Reply 13
thank you! are you doing lit at a-level?

Yes, with edexcel, are you?
Reply 14
Original post by Davy611
Cool, I'll have a look. Is it straightforward to sign up to Seneca? Thanks.

yeah you just need to put in a name, email, and password, and you're set!
no worries!
Reply 15
It's not that amazing, trust me haha. A Level makes it look **** anyway lol.

What was your overall mark?

155/160 across the two papers - i'm just starting a-level now!
Reply 16
Original post by m2b
Yes, with edexcel, are you?

yeah i'm doing OCR (did i think it was aqa until a minute ago? maybe)
(edited 4 years ago)
155/160 across the two papers - i'm just starting a-level now!

Oooohhh! Ya lucky *******! 🤣 I got 154/160 lol. A Level can be difficult because most pupils' writing is of an insanely high calibre. I got 53/60 in my end-of-year mocks last year to only get a B lol.
Reply 18

Eesshh I didn’t get full marks but I got 74/80 in AQA Lang P2 but this was first cohort after reform (think like 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Oooohhh! Ya lucky *******! 🤣 I got 154/160 lol. A Level can be difficult because most pupils' writing is of an insanely high calibre. I got 53/60 in my end-of-year mocks last year to only get a B lol.

damn those are high grade boundaries! hopefully the real ones are more lenient? which exam board do you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending