The Student Room Group

How important are 'As' grades post-reform?

Now that As grades don't count toward the final A Level, how much attention do universities give to the grade from students who decide to take a subject but drop it to As? My school still offered As courses at the time I enrolled, so I took it in Further Maths and only achieved a C. If I was applying to a top university, would this significantly disadvantage my application? I would also mention the fact that I want to study Philosophy, for which Further Maths is irrelevant anyway.
I'm predicted A*A*A at A2 and achieved 99977776 at GCSE.
I assume it is all relevant to what you are wanting to take and where you are replying. Since your topic of choice which you want to study further is Philosophy and I assume you would have done 4 As Levels, then I don't see them taking that much into account. The use of As nows by most schools is to check your progress and make a more realistic prediction on what you will be getting at the end of A2, your GCSE grades seem to be relatively strong and are mostly what the university will look at. "Oxford has never used AS-level grades in a mechanistic way when assessing applications, partly because a third of our applicants are not taking AS and A-levels. We will continue to assess applications with no AS-level grades in exactly the same way as those with AS-level grades."

Quick Reply

Latest