The Student Room Group

Menopausal women should get Flexible working hours, says Labour MP.

Forcing companies to give only specific demographics benefits makes those companies more reluctant to hire those demographics.

It is similar to unions: One method of 'union busting' (which the UK police have done) is compiling lists of members of unions. Being a member of a union is a mark against you in the eyes of an employer, which is why it should be kept secret.

The solution is not to withhold benefits for those demographics, but to introduce equal benefits to all demographics.
Reply 2
If theyre willing to take flexible pay as well then sure.
That'll be why they get paid less for the same job then eh?

Baddum Tish😜
err no? only if an employer actually wants to do that for their employee.
Unless you’re going through/have been through menopause then you have no idea!!!!!!
Employers should be flexible to all staff however
The alternative to them not being flexible is a fit note which my gp provides when employers are less than flexible. It’s not about days off. It’s about being flexible with start and finish times. As long as the hours are done. Would you prefer a coworker to take a break outside and if possible shower and change or would you like them to sweat and drip over you and the office? It is a genuine medical issue
Reply 6
It's a ridiculous policy.

Employees have a right to request flexible working. That's fine.

However, to give a right to receive it to one group is daft. Pregnant women don't have that. Parents don't have that. Plenty of other groups that you would think would be just as likely to want flexible arrangements don't have them.

In any case, how long do you give them a right to these flexible arrangements? Years? How do you bring it to an end? Medical examinations? Do they have to have a doctor's note to receive it.

Incredibly half-baked.
Original post by Sammylou40
Unless you’re going through/have been through menopause then you have no idea!!!!!!
Employers should be flexible to all staff however
The alternative to them not being flexible is a fit note which my gp provides when employers are less than flexible. It’s not about days off. It’s about being flexible with start and finish times. As long as the hours are done. Would you prefer a coworker to take a break outside and if possible shower and change or would you like them to sweat and drip over you and the office? It is a genuine medical issue

Agreed. Am not menopausal as am 20 but have experienced menopausal like symptoms through birth control for pcos and it's horrible. As long as the same amount of work is getting done I don't see the issue.
Judging by the responses on this thread people seem to think the menopause is a bit of period pain
Original post by CoolCavy
Agreed. Am not menopausal as am 20 but have experienced menopausal like symptoms through birth control for pcos and it's horrible. As long as the same amount of work is getting done I don't see the issue.
Judging by the responses on this thread people seem to think the menopause is a bit of period pain

Ahh. The ignorance of youth! 😜
Original post by Sammylou40
It is a genuine medical issue

What about those with other genuine medical issues why only propose this for this one medical issue?
Reply 10
Original post by the beer
What about those with other genuine medical issues why only propose this for this one medical issue?

A very good question.

And can I add to that, are we to understand the proposal is to treat it fully medical issue? Because that obviously has other consequences in terms of employment.
Original post by the beer

SHow me where I’ve said other medical issues are irrelevant. As a disabled person I understand this well thanks
however, the subject up for discussion presently is menopause

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending