The Student Room Group

Match.com: Riddled with bots/over-moderated?

Invitation to chat declined despite mutual likes and relatively innocuous messaging. Is AI being used for nefarious purposes? I Shouldn't be doing as badly as I am on there.
Original post by ReluctantBrit
Invitation to chat declined despite mutual likes and relatively innocuous messaging. Is AI being used for nefarious purposes? I Shouldn't be doing as badly as I am on there.

match.com is indeed riddled with bots. I was encouraged to pay by a fake profile of a cute Italian widower. The average user is such a loser that you would not wish to join for their sake. I saw a documentary about this (not about match.com), whereby the staff make up fake profiles using attractive pictures and backstory (they even used an old pic of actress Michelle Pfeiffer) . Once you have paid, the attractive fake messages you three times, then drop you. When I tried to leave, you can only imagine how many likes I had from attractive widowers with masters degrees. One of them was definitely a fake, as the same photo appeared twice under a different user name, in a different London location. When I tackled one of them on this, all he wanted to know was why I wanted to leave Match.com. His profile was then hurriedly deleted. They also have scammers, and trolls, from whom I got awful abuse. The two people I did meet had misleading profile pictures (ie from years ago) and they seemed to resent me for actually having a personality.

When I tried to complain, a bot answered that I hadn't tried hard enough on my dates, and I need to improve my appearance/technique. Obviously it is all my fault, even though the guys I spoke to lied repeatedly to me.

It all ended when my son said "Who's going to reject you today, Mum?" At that point, enough was enough. And I am a person who had 368 views per week, so I am not exactly ugly, and I am intelligent, too. They are making money from your vulnerability, and your belief that there is someone out there for everyone. Well, there certainly isn't on match.com.

Get rid of them.
Original post by Oxford Mum
match.com is indeed riddled with bots. I was encouraged to pay by a fake profile of a cute Italian widower. The average user is such a loser that you would not wish to join for their sake. I saw a documentary about this (not about match.com), whereby the staff make up fake profiles using attractive pictures and backstory (they even used an old pic of actress Michelle Pfeiffer) . Once you have paid, the attractive fake messages you three times, then drop you. When I tried to leave, you can only imagine how many likes I had from attractive widowers with masters degrees. One of them was definitely a fake, as the same photo appeared twice under a different user name, in a different London location. When I tackled one of them on this, all he wanted to know was why I wanted to leave Match.com. His profile was then hurriedly deleted. They also have scammers, and trolls, from whom I got awful abuse. The two people I did meet had misleading profile pictures (ie from years ago) and they seemed to resent me for actually having a personality.

When I tried to complain, a bot answered that I hadn't tried hard enough on my dates, and I need to improve my appearance/technique. Obviously it is all my fault, even though the guys I spoke to lied repeatedly to me.

It all ended when my son said "Who's going to reject you today, Mum?" At that point, enough was enough. And I am a person who had 368 views per week, so I am not exactly ugly, and I am intelligent, too. They are making money from your vulnerability, and your belief that there is someone out there for everyone. Well, there certainly isn't on match.com.

Get rid of them.

This year things have really changed a lot. I think they are starting to incorporate social crediting in to dating platforms, I think this is what is happening in China now. Ultimately the CIA, Silicon Valley shape the society they want with these platforms. What they don't want is different groups of people coming together and upsetting the status quo. They want racial interbreeding in the west, but at the same time to isolate and polarise the different social/racial groups. That is how they have configured their algorithms IMO.
This year things have really changed a lot. I think they are starting to incorporate social crediting in to dating platforms, I think this is what is happening in China now. Ultimately the CIA, Silicon Valley shape the society they want with these platforms. What they don't want is different groups of people coming together and upsetting the status quo. They want racial interbreeding in the west, but at the same time to isolate and polarise the different social/racial groups. That is how they have configured their algorithms IMO.

Whatever they try to do to make things different, there are still dodgy, highly unattractive users on there. Unless they can change the men (and they can't), nothing will change on the dating websites.
Reply 4

I signed upto match some years back but did not pay for the full signup so was on the free version where you can't do anything. I didn't even upload a picture. I started getting a load of messages and winks off women literally from the start. At first I was like grinning at all the attention. Then my logical mind kicked in.

With or without a picture I wasn't getting anywhere near this amount of attention on other sites [in the same area (London)]. So why am I so popular on match?

How can a guy with no picture be getting so much messages? Women are shallow AF on these dating apps, so I knew something was very off here...

Then the penny dropped that these arn't real women messaging me, but bots trying to lure me into taking out a paid subscription. :angry:

I ended up not signing up to the site.

More and more sites these days are either plauged with catfishes/scammers, or the site itself is using manipulative tactics such as the above to dupe people into parting with their money.

Also, the scammers and catfishes are so bad on pof.com now than I can no longer do experiments on there, because the high number of scammers/bots/catfishes are skewing the results.

Like I open a new account. 20 messages from girls in the first day. I examine their profiles and many of them are in foreign countries or something. I reply to a few messages and it is very generic replies, with often links to other sites. I don't actually know how much of those girls were real or not.

pof are loosing customers because of this issue. i've seen a LOT of complaints.
They try to delete the bots [fair play to them] but they re-spawn at such a high rate that it is still very much a big issue
The above post is correct, I’m afraid.

The people who lose out are the genuine ones.

Whereas the guy who invented all this guff is a multi millionaire

My son tells me however that his wife got sick of him and used match.com to find someone new, and ran off with him

Karma at last..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending