The Student Room Group

AI

I have used Gpt of structure spelling and grammar on my last masters assignment. It is the first time I've used it. And I've been accused of major malpractice
Original post by Anonymous
I have used Gpt of structure spelling and grammar on my last masters assignment. It is the first time I've used it. And I've been accused of major malpractice

Always best to admit what you've done and collaborate with the academic misconduct officer. Do make sure to give a read of your university's policy on AI to see if what you did falls within the university's fair use of AI policy. Also worth reaching out to your student union who will be able to provide you with assistance.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Their AI-detection will have picked up on your use of GPT. The best thing to do from here is be honest rather than try to dress it up. They will hear lots of people trying to say they got confused etc., you're more likely to get mitigation if you just frankly own up to what you actually did without trying to minimise it.
It’s very rare that GPT will genuinely improve spelling and grammar. In reality what it often does is turn your logic into incomprehensible nonsense (albeit in a very pompously worded way)
Reply 4
I know this sounds harsh but it is a stupid risk to take using AI with academic writing. Just buy/take from the library a style guide and learn to write better.
Hi there

I echo the comment above- that you should check out your University's guidance on AI. Some use of AI may be permitted, for example spelling and grammar checks. It will be useful to know what is permitted and not, just so you are aware for any future assignments. I would also agree that it is best to be open about what you used AI for during your assignment.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Hey there,

Universities do possess capability to identify AI written text. Please, refer to guidance provided by your university regarding AI, if such guidance exists. As a rule of thumb - try to avoid submitting AI written content, as these tools are most likely in the grey area. Therefore, you may be accused of plagiarism.

Please, remember that AI is a wonderful tool to get insights and advice for your work, but your coursework is still a product of your effort, and therefore needs to be your genuine piece of work.

Please, let me know if you have any questions,
Ilya
Reply 7
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there,

Universities do possess capability to identify AI written text. Please, refer to guidance provided by your university regarding AI, if such guidance exists. As a rule of thumb - try to avoid submitting AI written content, as these tools are most likely in the grey area. Therefore, you may be accused of plagiarism.

Please, remember that AI is a wonderful tool to get insights and advice for your work, but your coursework is still a product of your effort, and therefore needs to be your genuine piece of work.

Please, let me know if you have any questions,
Ilya
Um, I'd have to disagree - 'AI-written content' isn't a grey area. When you submit an assessment, you agree that it is your work, and if AI wrote it, you didn't... Universities, it's true, are all over the place with their policies and communications at the moment, but the easy way to avoid all the nonsense is simply to write your work yourself like you're meant to. Apart from anything else, what exactly is the point of submiting work written by a genAI bot? One of the main points of assessment is to get you to do some writing so you can get better at it. If the bot's doing it for you, you won't improve.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 8
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

I echo the comment above- that you should check out your University's guidance on AI. Some use of AI may be permitted, for example spelling and grammar checks. It will be useful to know what is permitted and not, just so you are aware for any future assignments. I would also agree that it is best to be open about what you used AI for during your assignment.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
This is good advice generally, you're right some universities do permit the use of AI for 'spelling and grammar checks', but not generative AI - there is absolutely no need for generative AI spelling/grammar-checking. Using GPT for spelling/grammar checking is like using a samarai sword to slice an apple. Word can check your spelling and grammar perfectly well. No need for GPT. Just write the thing yourself, and with the practice you'll get better at writing. Let GPT do it and you won't improve.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending