The Student Room Group

I have A*BCE what are the best unis I can go to?

Hi,
I want to apply for a civil engineering course in the UK and I was aiming for some universities that required two A* and an A. Unfortunately I couldn’t get those grades, the grades I have are:

A level
B in mathematics
C in physics
E in Chemistry
A* in Arabic language

I also have:

AS:

A in Maths
A in Arabic
B in physics
C in chemistry

IGCSE:

A* in Maths, Physics and Arabic
B in English 1st language

I’m really confused. Can I still get into good universities with those grades?

Do you have any idea which are the best Civil Engineering course I can get and in which uni?

Thanks in advance
Is Arabic your native language?
Original post by bennyj901
Is Arabic your native language?

Yes
Original post by CinamonBun2000
Yes

In that case I am not sure having an A* in Arabic is as impressive since you were practically fluent in it before you took the qualification. Dont get me wrong, an A* is an A*, but it would be a bit strange if you didn't perform well in a subject you were pretty much born to excel in. Even if that were not the case, Arabic doesn't really have much to do with Civil Engineering so likely wouldn't make much of a difference to begin with, unlike Maths and physics which you didn't do too well in. Civil Engineering is heavily reliant on those two subjects, especially physics so getting a C in it really doesn't look good.

As for getting into 'good universities' I am sorry but I would be extremely surprised if you could get into any of the top 10, maybe even top 20 and I think all the RGs are out of your reach at the moment. Yes you have some pretty good GCSEs, but GCSEs are GCSEs and A levels are A levels, one is pretty amature and the other is closer to university level and I can assure you it will be the A levels universities look at and place the most emphasis on.

My advice, resit as many exams as you need to get something more along AAB. Im guessing that means all the Chemistry exams since that E is really going to kill your chances when applying to university, and probably resit the physics papers too. If you are going to all that effort you may as well resit Maths too, try and get that to an A or maybe even A* if you can.

Now if you do this you have to realise places like Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Durham and nearly all the other top 10 places will 100% not accept you since in these unis retaking that many A2 exams (In some cases even one retake, if it were just one or two maybe some would take you) will pretty much bar you from going there, but you will have a shot at places like Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, Cardiff, Liverpool (maybe even Manchester, Exeter and Birmingham if you are lucky or significantly improve your grades). You will also need a very good personal statement.

I may be wrong with all this but that would be my plan if I were in your position.
Original post by bennyj901
In that case I am not sure having an A* in Arabic is as impressive since you were practically fluent in it before you took the qualification. Dont get me wrong, an A* is an A*, but it would be a bit strange if you didn't perform well in a subject you were pretty much born to excel in. Even if that were not the case, Arabic doesn't really have much to do with Civil Engineering so likely wouldn't make much of a difference to begin with, unlike Maths and physics which you didn't do too well in. Civil Engineering is heavily reliant on those two subjects, especially physics so getting a C in it really doesn't look good.

As for getting into 'good universities' I am sorry but I would be extremely surprised if you could get into any of the top 10, maybe even top 20 and I think all the RGs are out of your reach at the moment. Yes you have some pretty good GCSEs, but GCSEs are GCSEs and A levels are A levels, one is pretty amature and the other is closer to university level and I can assure you it will be the A levels universities look at and place the most emphasis on.

My advice, resit as many exams as you need to get something more along AAB. Im guessing that means all the Chemistry exams since that E is really going to kill your chances when applying to university, and probably resit the physics papers too. If you are going to all that effort you may as well resit Maths too, try and get that to an A or maybe even A* if you can.

Now if you do this you have to realise places like Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Durham and nearly all the other top 10 places will 100% not accept you since in these unis retaking that many A2 exams (In some cases even one retake, if it were just one or two maybe some would take you) will pretty much bar you from going there, but you will have a shot at places like Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, Cardiff, Liverpool (maybe even Manchester, Exeter and Birmingham if you are lucky or significantly improve your grades). You will also need a very good personal statement.

I may be wrong with all this but that would be my plan if I were in your position.

I’m not really aiming for top 10s and 20s anymore
(I’m currently studying at University of Benghazi which is ranked 41000th worldwide), honestly I would be happy if I get a good university among top 50s or 100s even.

I’m not planing to retake my A-levels I’ve already made up my mind about that.
What I’m looking for is a descent university which I can get accepted to with my current grades.

If you know any I would love to hear them.

(I’d like to add that I’m finishing a foundation degree next January and I’m doing extremely well at, Would that be helpful ?)

Thanks a-lot😁
Original post by CinamonBun2000
I’m not really aiming for top 10s and 20s anymore
(I’m currently studying at University of Benghazi which is ranked 41000th worldwide), honestly I would be happy if I get a good university among top 50s or 100s even.

I’m not planing to retake my A-levels I’ve already made up my mind about that.
What I’m looking for is a descent university which I can get accepted to with my current grades.

If you know any I would love to hear them.

(I’d like to add that I’m finishing a foundation degree next January and I’m doing extremely well at, Would that be helpful ?)

Thanks a-lot😁

Cannot speak for foundation courses so I won't comment on that. Something you should also remember is that for something like Civ Eng, an undergrad degree alone won't be enough to get you fully qualified. So try and do well in your degree now, then maybe get transferred to a better uni for your masters.

Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply

Latest