The Student Room Group

Please Help - A-level results advice

Im a gap year student , i achieved ;
B in Psychology,D in Biology,E in Chemistry so resat biology and chem as i was originally predicted As. However result just came and i still have not improved with C in biology and E in chemistry
I cannot take another gap year, and i do meet criteria for most uni for lowered grade entry. However i am not sure what i can do with such low grades, i was originally offered pharmacy but due to low grade got rejected.
Is there any foundation course that can get me into pharmacy\computer science , or any advice in general. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MirioTogata
B in Psychology,D in Biology,E in Chemistry so resat biology and chem as i was originally predicted As. However result just came and i still have not improved with C in biology and E in chemistry
I cannot take another gap year, and i do meet criteria for most uni for lowered grade entry. However i am not sure what i can do with such low grades, i was originally offered pharmacy but due to low grade got rejected.
Is there any foundation course that can get me into pharmacy\computer science , or any advice in general. Thank you.

There are almost always options, but you should start by deciding which course you want to aim for, since those courses are quite different :redface:

First of all you have improved your biology! Let's #BeResultsProud here.
It might not be what you originally wanted but it is an improvement nontheless.

Can I ask are you sure on pharmacy? CompSci is quite different
Original post by Lemur14
There are almost always options, but you should start by deciding which course you want to aim for, since those courses are quite different :redface:

Yeah both very different, but im fine with either, i was hoping to get foundation options for both to apply and decide. Or any apprenticeships that can help me get into the course after a year or so
Yeah both very different, but im fine with either, i was hoping to get foundation options for both to apply and decide. Or any apprenticeships that can help me get into the course after a year or so

Right, I say this with love: go for a walk with a family member and think about your future. Do you have any particular career goals in mind? Is there a reason you're torn between them?

Get some air and have a think before you start picking up the phones.
Original post by 04MR17
First of all you have improved your biology! Let's #BeResultsProud here.
It might not be what you originally wanted but it is an improvement nontheless.

Can I ask are you sure on pharmacy? CompSci is quite different

I am fine with either, i was just wondering if i can even do foundation for either course with my grades, or if there is any apprenticeships i can do

Good morning! :hi:

This decision is going to have an impact on the rest of your life, so it's not one to be taken lightly. You will live and breathe your subject for the next three years and it will influence your career path. It's very important that you make the right decision at this stage to avoid years of unhappiness, wasted funding, or re-training later. If you're unsure at this point which subject you want to study, then why are you applying to university? What's your motivation to go? What are you passionate about?

If you are absolutely keen you want to go to university, then I would suggest using this morning to look into the career paths each of these courses would lead you to and what a day-to-day in those jobs might look like.

So with BCE, you have 88 UCAS tarriff points, so you can use this to search on ucas for appropriate clearing vacancies.
There's loads of unis in there for comp sci and slightly less for Pharmacy, but take a look and see if any take your fancy as a starting point :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Right, I say this with love: go for a walk with a family member and think about your future. Do you have any particular career goals in mind? Is there a reason you're torn between them?

Get some air and have a think before you start picking up the phones.

I have given it a lot of thought, like i said im satisfied with either, just hoping i can do any.
Original post by 1582
Good morning! :hi:

This decision is going to have an impact on the rest of your life, so it's not one to be taken lightly. You will live and breathe your subject for the next three years and it will influence your career path. It's very important that you make the right decision at this stage to avoid years of unhappiness, wasted funding, or re-training later. If you're unsure at this point which subject you want to study, then why are you applying to university? What's your motivation to go? What are you passionate about?

If you are absolutely keen you want to go to university, then I would suggest using this morning to look into the career paths each of these courses would lead you to and what a day-to-day in those jobs might look like.

I've done work experience for both, spoke to students doing each course. Computer sci is slightly ahead but if i was to be rejected, i would do pharmacy happily too.
Original post by Lemur14
So with BCE, you have 88 UCAS tarriff points, so you can use this to search on ucas for appropriate clearing vacancies.
There's loads of unis in there for comp sci and slightly less for Pharmacy, but take a look and see if any take your fancy as a starting point :smile:

Do you find apprenticeships through ucas too
Do you find apprenticeships through ucas too

Yes you can!
As others have said, take some time over this decision and make sure you weigh up all the options.

When looking for courses as Lemur14 said, you have 88 points which is a good amount to look around. You should be super proud of your results, it's been a tough few years and the fact you have bettered a grade as well is amazing!

One option you have if you think you would need some more time to adjust to University level is a foundation year (year 0). We have a blog on this if you want to have a quick read here and we actually do offer computer science with a FY which you can read about here. No pressure at all, just to be used as a reference point! :smile:

Well done for retaking the exams and improving in Biology!

Considering your next steps can be daunting, but don't forget to reach out to courses/ universities that you are interested in to have a conversation as it could really help in deciding what your options are and what is best for you.

Feel free to reach out to us here at the University of Suffolk. We offering places through clearing for out Computing course that utilises a brand new multi-million-pound technology facility at BT Adastral Park!

Here is our clearing phone line in case we can help :smile: 01473 338352

Good luck!

Scarlett
Reply 14

https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-science-including-foundation-year---bsc-hons/#entry-requirements-section
Original post by Lemur14

Also, on a clearing app when i look at a course it says "40 points" next to Full-time. What does this mean, thank you!
Also, on a clearing app when i look at a course it says "40 points" next to Full-time. What does this mean, thank you!

40 points is 40 UCAS points. You get 40 points for a B, 32 points for a C and 16 points for an E so you have 88 points.

I would advise using the UCAS website as opposed to the app because the app prioritises those unis who pay a lot of money to have their vacancies advertised i.e. those who have money or are most desperate to fill their places.
Original post by Lemur14
40 points is 40 UCAS points. You get 40 points for a B, 32 points for a C and 16 points for an E so you have 88 points.

I would advise using the UCAS website as opposed to the app because the app prioritises those unis who pay a lot of money to have their vacancies advertised i.e. those who have money or are most desperate to fill their places.

Its confusing as on the app there is a uni that wants 40 points for a course but on ucas website the entry requirement is different, would you say the app is more updated

Hi @MirioTogata

Let's not gloss over your Biology D to a C - well done, that's great!!

We offer Computer Science here at Winchester: https://www.winchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/bsc-hons-computer-science/

There are still places available so I recommend calling us asap on 01962 827234. Our friendly team can chat through options and see if we can offer you a place :smile:
Oh, and here's a taster of our Computer Science course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn7IgxL8-E0

Looks pretty fab, right?! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending