The Student Room Group

Bonds (finance )

So I was reading and it said that with a bond when a interest rate goes down bond value goes up?
How does that work? Tf?
Reply 1
Original post by hangulmaster
So I was reading and it said that with a bond when a interest rate goes down bond value goes up?
How does that work? Tf?

I wouldn't have put it in the chemistry section. We use the term bond in a different way to economists.

Anyhoo, how about the following:

If you took out a £100, 1 year bond on a 1% interest rate, after the year you would have £101.
If you put the money into a bank at 0% interest, you'd have £100 at the end of the year.
The value of the bond is that 1% you earnt.
If the bank put up their interest rate to 0.5% on the day you bought the bond, then the value of the bond goes down relative to the amount of interest you gain from the bank.

I imagine.
Original post by Pigster
I wouldn't have put it in the chemistry section. We use the term bond in a different way to economists.

Anyhoo, how about the following:

If you took out a £100, 1 year bond on a 1% interest rate, after the year you would have £101.
If you put the money into a bank at 0% interest, you'd have £100 at the end of the year.
The value of the bond is that 1% you earnt.
If the bank put up their interest rate to 0.5% on the day you bought the bond, then the value of the bond goes down relative to the amount of interest you gain from the bank.

I imagine.

Eek so hard to understand
( I posted by accident I don’t know how to change it to a different forum)

Quick Reply

Latest