The Student Room Group

Would this be plagiarism?

So I’m currently writing a book, the idea is essentially an apocalypse (not with zombies tho) and has 4 main characters and an ominous figure that causes chaos. I’ve decided that the figure would literally be a personification of chaos, however I am now concerned that it might be plagiarism of the TV show “Good Omens” where they have, pollution, war, death and famine as characters/people. So I’m basically asking if I need to change my idea of the character of chaos?
you'll presumably also need to pay royalties to the author, or possibly his descendants, of the original meme of 4-characters that sew chaos, famine etc

stick with your book, just plagiarise (seriously) from some other book the "disclaimer....all made up squire..." that might get you out of trouble. Hopefully you might only get into litigation trouble if you start to make a million with your book - as fame & fortune attracts lawsuits sometimes.
I mean, Good Omens is also a book too.

So it isn't really an original idea, but you'd either have to do something significantly different with it, or find a way to justify why you chose to do it. If it ends up being largely similar then it just shows lack of creativity either way.
Reply 3
Original post by MidgetFever
I mean, Good Omens is also a book too.

So it isn't really an original idea, but you'd either have to do something significantly different with it, or find a way to justify why you chose to do it. If it ends up being largely similar then it just shows lack of creativity either way.

Ironically Terry Pratchett who wrote the book with Neil Gaiman has the four horsemen and chaos (who works as a milkman due to leaving the group before they got famous) in his discworld series. So yeah it's a common trope to build off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending