The Student Room Group

A Level Options

I'm currently in Year 11 and I am considering doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Psychology. The aim is to be an accountant.

What are the best and worst things about Psychology and Further Maths at A-levels?
What are the hardest parts about either subject?
What options are there concerning the topics within each subject?
What are you predicted in gcse maths and what did you get in the most recent mocks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Further Maths is difficult, but it’s interesting as long as u have smart ppl doing it lol
Original post by Esther1412
I'm currently in Year 11 and I am considering doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Psychology. The aim is to be an accountant.

What are the best and worst things about Psychology and Further Maths at A-levels?
What are the hardest parts about either subject?
What options are there concerning the topics within each subject?

Just do 3 subjects. Universities only ask for 3 and they'll ignore anything extra. They also won't be impressed if you did 4 instead of 3.

Do the 3 that you think you'll get the best grades in. Soft and facilitating subjects don't exist anymore, so it doesn't matter if you do FM or Psychology/Economics as long as you meet the university's requirements.
Reply 4
That’s coming for me who got an a* in maths gcse but still did maths at a level and further maths
Reply 5
Original post by deodar778
What are you predicted in gcse maths and what did you get in the most recent mocks

I'm predicted a 9 in maths. My mocks are in mid-November. But in my Year 10 mocks I've consistently been getting 9s.
I take both Further Maths and Psychology.

For me, the worst part of further maths is the option modules my college picks - but that's it, it certainly requires effort, but if you enjoy maths, further maths is a lot of fun!

For me the hardest parts of psychology are the volume of content (it's a very content heavy subject), and the essays - but I've never been great at essay writing as a whole, I'm much more of a maths/science person.
Doing Econ with Psych would probably be quite good because you'll develop transferable skills that will probably make both a lot easier.

There's a lot of options for both - but some schools have specific options they always pick and that you'll be taught. For Psychology when it comes to the actual exam, you'll be able to pick which ever options you want (though you may have to teach yourself if you prefer a module that you aren't being taught in class), but unless you get your schools to sign you up for the different further maths options (different papers), you'll don't have much of a choice.

Definitely have a look at textbooks and see if you like the topics being covered!

Quick Reply

Latest