The Student Room Group

MAT exam - let's stress together!

A thread where those of us taking this exam in just over a week can vent our overwhelming fear of failure to each other. Feel free to post low scores, stressful experiences and worries without judgement.

🎵 We're all in this together🎵

I want to cry and laugh and sigh and yell all at once. Send help.

Scroll to see replies

This is the realest thread on TSR lol
Literally for like all the long questions I can answer like the first 2 or 3 parts, and then consistently just don't get the final couple parts on like all the papers :frown:
I got 40 something :frown:
Wow this is gonna be so bloody relatable, guess we can all slowly go mad together then yayyyyyyyy
I genuinely feel like crying. I did a paper yesterday and got 42. My mental health has almost gotten to an all time low because of it. It's making me doubt myself and my decision to even go to oxford or even to study maths. I see the mark scheme and im like "Oh that makes sense, but why didnt I think of that" im starting to feel as though im too dumb, stupid, low IQ, average, *insert intelligence berating adjective here*, to even study maths. I find A level maths easy and I got 4 As at AS so i guess i got this stupid notion that I was worth something, that I had a talent, that I was good at something, but i guess not. Oxford is going to ****ing barf looking at my paper, looking at my application and immediately dump me. At this point I cannot even envision acceptance. My life is over and I hate how difficult im finding this and my brain CANT SEEM TO ****ING OPEN!!!dsbkmlv bkdjjb oidx i just want to cry its too much.
@IntelligentAngel maybe u hv done a harder year. 2013 and 2015 is very difficult. You should not determine your ability by one single paper. Do more and you'll improve.
I swear that I'm the most dump person here
Original post by rebellionium
@IntelligentAngel maybe u hv done a harder year. 2013 and 2015 is very difficult. You should not determine your ability by one single paper. Do more and you'll improve.
I swear that I'm the most dump person here

It's cute how you think those were the papers I failed. I did a 2009 paper and ****ed it cause im DUMB (Im sorry I know i should be positive but its just hard) you are definitely not the most dumb
I haven't tried the 2009 one yet
How is your performance in more recent papers?
@IntelligentAngel and if it's your first time doing those paper It's normal to get lower marks coz u haven't managed the time well
I haven't tried the 2009 one yet
How is your performance in more recent papers?

it’s been a while since i did a recent paper, maybe i’ll try one tomorrow morning and see how i do because it’s 12 Am right now and i’m tired of crying
u have been preparing for MAT for long time? thats nice. i only decided to apply to uk unis recently and haven't got time to prepare...
u have been preparing for MAT for long time? thats nice. i only decided to apply to uk unis recently and haven't got time to prepare...

not really for a long time, i would say since like september 17th?
Got a 40 yesterday for the 2015 paper, and apparently they'll only get harder. Not sure why I'm applying anymore.
I wanted to prepare since Sept but can't find time coz school work is very busy
im international student and no one i know in real life understand my situation
I wanted to prepare since Sept but can't find time coz school work is very busy
im international student and no one i know in real life understand my situation

It’s okay i understand your situation :frown: i’m also an international student. School work also hindered me from preparing properly. I say “since september” but it has really been in patches and not as rigorous as i would’ve intended. No one else at my school is doing admissions tests so no one gets it and they’re answer is always just “Why did you apply?”
Original post by IntelligentAngel
I genuinely feel like crying. I did a paper yesterday and got 42. My mental health has almost gotten to an all time low because of it. It's making me doubt myself and my decision to even go to oxford or even to study maths. I see the mark scheme and im like "Oh that makes sense, but why didnt I think of that" im starting to feel as though im too dumb, stupid, low IQ, average, *insert intelligence berating adjective here*, to even study maths. I find A level maths easy and I got 4 As at AS so i guess i got this stupid notion that I was worth something, that I had a talent, that I was good at something, but i guess not. Oxford is going to ****ing barf looking at my paper, looking at my application and immediately dump me. At this point I cannot even envision acceptance. My life is over and I hate how difficult im finding this and my brain CANT SEEM TO ****ING OPEN!!!dsbkmlv bkdjjb oidx i just want to cry its too much.

Okay that couldn't sum up how I feel any better. I cant believe how much this one test has f***ed up my mental health and I can't cope with the depression of knowing I'll be rejected and enabling myself by avoiding practice as I'm so scared of failure. If it makes you guys feel better there are people who take the exam every year that get in the 0-5 mark bracket (totally gonna be me this year I can sense it lol)
ppl getting less than 40 marks is quite rare, and they never get admitted anyway
I start imagining those ppl who got 80 something reading this thread and laughing at us doing last minute pareparation while they had done all the past papers plus a lot of extra reading and exercise on maths as they know they wanted to study maths since young and had attended extra lessons on different topics
Hey guys, I'm not doing the MAT, but I'm mum for someone who is...mind if I join you? I'm trying not to stress my son too much but it would be nice to vent.

Thing is, I know it's a tough test and I know that it has got to be that way - if you're trying to sort out the top 250 (ish) maths students around, nearly all of whom have bunches of A* already and are predicted A*, the only way you've got is to devise a test that is pretty barbaric to split them out. I'm sure everyone suffers - it doesn't mean you're bad at maths!

I really admire the amount of work you're all putting into doing this and how you're supporting each other. Keep your heads up and just think how excellent it will be when you wake up on the 31st without having to revise for the MAT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending