The Student Room Group

Bart's and The London A100 - Ask a medical student your questions!

Since I relied on TSR when applying to medicine, I thought it was only fair I give back what I can. Feel free to ask me anything and I will answer as best as I can! No such thing as silly questions!
Original post by theflyingmedic
Since I relied on TSR when applying to medicine, I thought it was only fair I give back what I can. Feel free to ask me anything and I will answer as best as I can! No such thing as silly questions!

Hi,

I'm an accountancy student but I have a friend who is aspiring to apply to medicine.

She has a fear of hospitals and seeing people in pain - is this something you eventually get used to?
Also, what is the studying and workload like in the course?

I wonder if you have any advice for her? I feel so bad that I can't give her in-depth advice due to my lack of knowledge in the field.

Thanks so much!
I can't say for sure that she will get used to it because people react differently. The best solution would be for her to do some work experience in a hospital to see if the fear is something she can overcome since from Y3-Y5 you are placed in hospitals for the majority of the time so if she cannot get over the fear, she will most.likely find it challenging.

With workload, it is manageable but you will have to be disciplined. There are usually 2-3 lectures 4 days a week and you will have PBL sessions twice a week which require you doing independent research before every session. Further to that you have practicals and placements. I usually study about 2 hours on top everyday including weekends. Time management is key.
Original post by theflyingmedic
I can't say for sure that she will get used to it because people react differently. The best solution would be for her to do some work experience in a hospital to see if the fear is something she can overcome since from Y3-Y5 you are placed in hospitals for the majority of the time so if she cannot get over the fear, she will most.likely find it challenging.

With workload, it is manageable but you will have to be disciplined. There are usually 2-3 lectures 4 days a week and you will have PBL sessions twice a week which require you doing independent research before every session. Further to that you have practicals and placements. I usually study about 2 hours on top everyday including weekends. Time management is key.

Thanks for your reply! I'll pass this on to her :smile:
Reply 4
My gcse grades weren’t the best but i want to go into medicine. I don’t know what else to do to make my application look better
If you are thinking of applying to medicine, look for universities that have GCSE requirements that you meet or are slightly flexible. The best thing to make your application stand out is a high UKCAT/BMAT score, for some universitities this is almost entirely how they score you for an interview/deciding upon an offer. The next would be predicted grades and predicted grades higher than the minimum entry requirements would help with a lower GCSE score. Thirdly, get some relevant work experience in a GP or a hospital. If you're finding difficult to get work experience, go find a list of consultants in your local hospital and email them. I did this and was able to skip a huge waiting list and got to see things in more detail. Hope it helps!
Hi, I was wondering what proportion of the Bart's course is PBL and what your opinion is of PBL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending