The Student Room Group

Studying in an American university

Hello! i'm in year 10, i would like to know if it is possible for me to study an Art degree in an american college/ university without a GCSE or A level in Art? i don't do art GCSE.
what can i do to build up my CV if this is the case?
i fully intend to work hard to get the GCSE grades i need, hopefully the A levels grades i need to apply.

Could i take A levels that aren't Art related.
Is it possible for me to take an Art foundation year without a GCSE or a level in art. Can i take a level art without GCSE Art?
Reply 1
I know that my college accepted students that didn’t take art gcse but they provided a portifolio of drawings - honestly when you apply to do a levels, go for your interview and just show them your work. If you believe that it’s of a high standard then go for it. You’re better off having the a level if you want the degree because of the experience you’ll get from studying artists, writing about your work and experimenting with different media.
Original post by myraxo
I know that my college accepted students that didn’t take art gcse but they provided a portifolio of drawings - honestly when you apply to do a levels, go for your interview and just show them your work. If you believe that it’s of a high standard then go for it. You’re better off having the a level if you want the degree because of the experience you’ll get from studying artists, writing about your work and experimenting with different media.

Thank you! i suppose that makes sense, A level art (from what i know) wouldn't require much aside from art skills as other skills from gcse art is something i could pick up e.g analysis.. although, i am not sure if i would even need any specfic a levels to study at university in the US. Also having the A level would be better preperation. Do 6th forms do the same? or does it depend on the specfic college/6th form you go to. I have heard colleges are more liberal at allowing you to apply for a levels you hadn't previously done
Reply 3
Original post by FantasyAngel
Thank you! i suppose that makes sense, A level art (from what i know) wouldn't require much aside from art skills as other skills from gcse art is something i could pick up e.g analysis.. although, i am not sure if i would even need any specfic a levels to study at university in the US. Also having the A level would be better preperation. Do 6th forms do the same? or does it depend on the specfic college/6th form you go to. I have heard colleges are more liberal at allowing you to apply for a levels you hadn't previously done

Mine was a sixth form-college so I’m not sure, you’re better off asking at your interview or even calling up, theres no harm in doing so! And again, the ones that ask for gcse art just want to know whether you have the skills to draw, so if you can prove that then there’s no reason why they wouldn’t accept you
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest