The Student Room Group

Conscious about my accent

I apologize for starting this pointless discussion, but I have a North American accent that I picked up during my brief study abroad in Canada. I'm a little worried that this will irritate people—especially Brits—when I speak to them. Since I already have social anxiety and am self-conscious of my voice, I can go rather silent in the middle of a conversation. I'm beginning to question whether studying in the UK would be the best option for me because I don't want to be an outsider. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on something that I know some of you may find trivial or even hysterical (rightfully so). Have a good day, y’all :-)
Original post by Anonymous
I apologize for starting this pointless discussion, but I have a North American accent that I picked up during my brief study abroad in Canada. I'm a little worried that this will irritate people—especially Brits—when I speak to them. Since I already have social anxiety and am self-conscious of my voice, I can go rather silent in the middle of a conversation. I'm beginning to question whether studying in the UK would be the best option for me because I don't want to be an outsider. I just wanted to hear your thoughts on something that I know some of you may find trivial or even hysterical (rightfully so). Have a good day, y’all :-)

UK universities are full of people from all over the UK and from all over the world. As you would expect, these people have a wide variety of accents (and first languages, in many cases).

I really can't imagine that people would find your "North American accent" irritating.

I fully appreciate that the fact that you "already have social anxiety and am self-conscious of my voice" means that the above will likely fall on deaf ears, but try not to let your perception of what other people may or may not think impact your decision as to where to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending