The Student Room Group

Degree funding after Level 4 apprenticeship?

I've applied for an 18 month Level 4 software engineer apprenticeship. If I complete the program and want to do a degree afterwards in computer science would I be able to get funding for it? Or would I have to pay for the first year myself because I have already done a first year equivalent? Or would I not be able to claim at all because I have done a Higher education qualification? Thanks.
Hi Jack, what is the name of the university and course you're looking to study at? And do you have any other previous study? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi I'm currently at school in Yr 13, I've applied for a Level 4 software engineer apprenticeship with American Express as i think the work experience would be great. I would like a Level 6 qualification eventually though, but I don't think American Express offer it. So would I be able to get Student finance/student loans to go to university and do Computer Science afterwards? I don't know which university it would be yet - probably Bath/Exeter/Surrey depending on A-level grades. Thanks.
Original post by JackSan123
Hi I'm currently at school in Yr 13, I've applied for a Level 4 software engineer apprenticeship with American Express as i think the work experience would be great. I would like a Level 6 qualification eventually though, but I don't think American Express offer it. So would I be able to get Student finance/student loans to go to university and do Computer Science afterwards? I don't know which university it would be yet - probably Bath/Exeter/Surrey depending on A-level grades. Thanks.

Thanks Jack,

If you do gain a qualification this would still be treated as previous study for student finance purposes. It would depend on the course you're studying and what qualification you gain once you've completed this. If you have received an exit qualification, from the degree apprenticeship, rather than a degree then we would perform a previous study calculation. The other example would be if you are now studying an ELQ exception course. Depending on the type of ELQ exception course the funding available would vary. When you apply through us the assessor will determine this and review your eligibility accordingly. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Hi, It's a Level 4 apprenticeship in software engineering that lasts 18 months. I would like to do a degree in Computer Science afterwards. I will not accept the Level 4 apprenticeship if it will prevent me from getting student finance for a degree afterwards. Obviously I don't want to wait until I apply for a degree to find out whether or not I will be able to get student finance because I won't be able to fund it myself so would be left unable to do the degree. Thanks.
Original post by JackSan123
Hi, It's a Level 4 apprenticeship in software engineering that lasts 18 months. I would like to do a degree in Computer Science afterwards. I will not accept the Level 4 apprenticeship if it will prevent me from getting student finance for a degree afterwards. Obviously I don't want to wait until I apply for a degree to find out whether or not I will be able to get student finance because I won't be able to fund it myself so would be left unable to do the degree. Thanks.

Thanks Jack,

Do you know what qualification you would receive when you complete the 18 months? Is it a HNC or certHE? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
I'm not entirely sure but I think HNC, thanks.
Original post by Jakson123
I'm not entirely sure but I think HNC, thanks.

Hi Jack,

If you receive a HNC we would take this into consideration as previous study. Would your course for degree be 3 or 4 years? Would it be full time or part time study?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 8
Hi the degree would be 3 years full time. Thanks.
Hi the degree would be 3 years full time. Thanks.

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if your new course is 3 years and your have done 2 years previously, the calculation would be 3+1=4-2=2 years of finance length, given in the final years of your now course. This means in year 1 no Tuition Fees and you would get Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable.

As you're not 100% on the qualification for the level 4 course - check this with your university so you know for definite.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 10
Thanks, that's really helpful.
Thanks, that's really helpful.

You are more than welcome, please don't hesitate to contact us if you need any further help. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending