The Student Room Group

The truth about takeaway food

Fast food is fine, when you bowl into a Mcdonalds or KFC you know what you're getting and it tastes well enough.

But, I'm talking about Chinese, those cheap chicken/kebab joints, American and Fish and Chips- the stuff you get on Just Eat.

I don't know if it's just me, but every time I get one, it ALWAYS dissapoints. Does anyone else here feel the same way? I always eat it and think either "that was disgusting" or "this is s***", usually followed by guilt that I've thrown £20 down the drain.

It makes me wonder if anyone does actually enjoy their takeaway, or are atleast always satisfied with it. The reviews on Just eat ways average out at around 3 and a half stars in most cases.

What does everyone else think? Do you understand where I'm coming from?
Original post by HarryOnTap
Fast food is fine, when you bowl into a Mcdonalds or KFC you know what you're getting and it tastes well enough.

But, I'm talking about Chinese, those cheap chicken/kebab joints, American and Fish and Chips- the stuff you get on Just Eat.

I don't know if it's just me, but every time I get one, it ALWAYS dissapoints. Does anyone else here feel the same way? I always eat it and think either "that was disgusting" or "this is s***", usually followed by guilt that I've thrown £20 down the drain.

It makes me wonder if anyone does actually enjoy their takeaway, or are atleast always satisfied with it. The reviews on Just eat ways average out at around 3 and a half stars in most cases.

Takeaway you get from websites like Justeat aren't even prepared at your local restaurant you ordered from half the time- they've set up small shipping containers and stuff where some random person will cook your meal and send it off. No wonder why it tastes crap. There's a documentary about it but I can't remember the name. You'll find it if you look hard enough.
I rarely eat takeaways because I know I can cook a significantly better meal at home. The few I do eat I know exactly where they come from and they are good quality.
Original post by THALCEDONY
Takeaway you get from websites like Justeat aren't even prepared at your local restaurant you ordered from half the time- they've set up small shipping containers and stuff where some random person will cook your meal and send it off. No wonder why it tastes crap. There's a documentary about it but I can't remember the name. You'll find it if you look hard enough.

Really? Jesus, I'll have a look at the documentary
I kind of agree, I've seen a definite overall slump in quality over the last decade, my assumption is the crunch in 2008 followed by the changes in spending habits and business rates has pushed an awful lot of them to cheaper ingredients and general corner cutting. Prices for most have went through the roof as well even as food has slumped.

Last time i ordered a curry for 2 in a few weeks ago Just eat was basically telling me I wouldn't get any change from £40, went with sonmewhere 'slightly' cheaper for £30 and it was pretty crap...tasted ok but nasty indigestion for both :/

The chippy downstairs can sod off as well, best part of £9 for a fish supper when they can't even get chips right.
I consistently order from places I know are good, so I'm not disappointed. I've been loyal to my favourite takeout places for years.
Original post by sinfonietta
I consistently order from places I know are good, so I'm not disappointed. I've been loyal to my favourite takeout places for years.

This is what I TRY and do. But I still find myself inevitably and sadly having to cross them off the list one by one as they fall/change owner/change chef ect. I think the only places I trust for a proper nice curry around me now are proper sit in places with v good reps.

At this point for other stuff like Pizzas, Burgers, Fish & Chips ect i prefer making my own.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HarryOnTap

i just go on the actual website the actual McDonalds website, pizza hut etc
I only order Chinese from one specific place and it rarely disappoints tbf

As for fish and chips, the chips are usually okay but I find it difficult to find anywhere that does decent enough fish
Th health standards and the food and the delivery service are all much better in Singapore, but its true in England the standards are abysmal for takeaways

Quick Reply

Latest