The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

Hey, I have to choose my A-Levels pretty soon and I'm really stuck on what to do :frown:
In the future, I would either love to work with animals or work with buildings/construction etc. At the moment, I'm thinking of doing DT (as it's my favourite subject), Biology (as this will help with animals, although I'm not a huge fan of it) and then I can't choose between Geography, Philosophy/Ethics or Sociology.
Theres also an option to go to college and do Animal management, although I'm worried this will cut off the whole DT side of things in the future.
Does anyone have any advice? As I'm really stuck! Thanks :smile:
Reply 2
My only advice with A-levels is that they are very full on, more than you’ll probably imagine; baring this in mind it would probably to be mindful of taking subjects that you already really enjoy or speaking to people who take the subject you are interested in if it is a new course you are taking.

I’m in my second year of religious studies (The Philosophy, Ethics and Religion you describe) and I love it, however it was not what I expected. It was heavily philosophy dominated and there is lots and lots of thinkers and theories etc. Different from GCSE where you look primarily at religion. However I really enjoy it but I know a few people in my class would have preferred an honest opinion of the course before taking it.
Reply 3
Thank you so much! Is the Philosophy course very essay based or is it a mix?
A-levels are definitely a big step up from GCSEs, so I would advise on taking subjects that you genuinely enjoy a lot.

I do A-level biology and it is very different from GCSE. There is A LOT more content and the question style does get harder. It's like what I learn in a week at A-level, it would take 1 month to learn at GCSE. So if you don't really like the subject that much, it might be difficult to truly enjoy it at A-level. However, it does get much more interesting because you really learn about everything in so much more detail, so if you find it boring because it's easy, then biology at a-level would be really fun for you.

I hope this helps.
Reply 5
Philosophy is 100% essay based on the OCR course- it would depend on your exam board but I’ll think they’ll all consist very heavily of essays.

Quick Reply

Latest