The Student Room Group

Pharmacy calculation Qs

Can anyone help me out on this calculation question?

A pharmacist has salicylic acid 2% ointment and salicylic acid 50% ointment in stock. He mixes 30g of each ointment together to make an ointment of a different strength. What is the strength (%w/v) of the resulting ointment?
It's a straight forward alligation method type question, what's the issue?
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Optimist
It's a straight forward alligation method type question, what's the issue?

Im asking for help, as in the answer and maybe how to get to the answer... no issue.. just a bit of help needed.
Original post by aladdin818
Im asking for help, as in the answer and maybe how to get to the answer... no issue.. just a bit of help needed.

Are you first year student? Just go look into the "alligation method". You'll pick it up quickly.
Another way you can do it is:

Find out how much active you have in 30g of the a) 2% and b)50% Then add them up to get "x". Then you know you have "x" grams in 60grams of total base. Now you need to convert it to %. I.e x/60 = y/100, solve for y and get the answer.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Optimist
Another way you can do it is:

Find out how much active you have in 30g of the a) 2% and b)50% Then add them up to get "x". Then you know you have "x" grams in 60grams of total base. Now you need to convert it to %. I.e x/60 = y/100, solve for y and get the answer.

Thank you v much, I understand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending