The Student Room Group

What is in both of these degrees - biomed/pharmacy

If you’ve done either would be beneficial pharmacy and biomedical science and how much essays write for either idk if you even do and how much math is there and what type etc??
Reply 1
Hey, I study Biomedical Science (1st Year)

Maths
Pharmacy will have much more math

Essays
This will depend on the university itself, rather than the degree.

I don't tend to be set essays. There's more focus on writing lab reports and completing coursework based on lab practical's. I get lab coursework once or twice per module and I have had one lab report this year. Presumably, I will have more lab reports in second and third year so the structure varies between years too.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi, first year pharmacy student here

Maths
Maths comes up quite a bit, usually in the chemistry side of things. You need to be able to use formulae, calculate ratios for formulations and do pharmaceutical calculations. Pharmacy students are assessed on pharmaceutical calculations annually, but since it’s so important to the profession it can also be assessed as part of your module.

Essays
You may have to write an essay for an assignment. You may be provided with a research paper and be tasked with writing an essay evaluating how effective a certain drug is. In one semester, I only had to write one essay- it happens but you’re not bombarded with essays.

Hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by ieatfoodtocope
Hi, first year pharmacy student here

Maths
Maths comes up quite a bit, usually in the chemistry side of things. You need to be able to use formulae, calculate ratios for formulations and do pharmaceutical calculations. Pharmacy students are assessed on pharmaceutical calculations annually, but since it’s so important to the profession it can also be assessed as part of your module.

Essays
You may have to write an essay for an assignment. You may be provided with a research paper and be tasked with writing an essay evaluating how effective a certain drug is. In one semester, I only had to write one essay- it happens but you’re not bombarded with essays.

Hope that helps

Btw do any of these degrees after finished like if your working as a pharmacist or biomedical scientist do you do injections on people and blood tests and touch people a lot etc???
Reply 4
Original post by Brianstudy01
Btw do any of these degrees after finished like if your working as a pharmacist or biomedical scientist do you do injections on people and blood tests and touch people a lot etc???

Hey,

Injections
That is entirely up to you. There are so many career paths with Biomedical Science that you can follow. You'll have plenty of options that won't include injections, blood tests and touching people.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 048243
Hey,

Injections
That is entirely up to you. There are so many career paths with Biomedical Science that you can follow. You'll have plenty of options that won't include injections, blood tests and touching people.

If I do a biomedical science degree I wanna be a biomedical scientist
Reply 6
If I do a biomedical science degree I wanna be a biomedical scientist

Biomedical Scientists
This would entail lab work and therefore, no you would not have to conduct injections on patients. Biomedical Scientists do not often come into contact with patients and work separately, alongside hospital staff.
Reply 7
Original post by 048243
Biomedical Scientists
This would entail lab work and therefore, no you would not have to conduct injections on patients. Biomedical Scientists do not often come into contact with patients and work separately, alongside hospital staff.

Which do you think is better getting a degree i don’t wanna touch people a lot like doctors optometrist surgeons and touching peoples teeth dentist that’s why up to 2 I wanna get in healthcare tho but don’t wanna get in radiography because is kinda boring im ngl

As a pharmacist you can do injections. It depends on which branch of pharmacy you end up going into.
Reply 9
As a pharmacist you can do injections. It depends on which branch of pharmacy you end up going into.

I don’t want to do basically is it a must have
I don’t want to do basically is it a must have

I don’t know for certain but I don’t think so, because it wouldn’t be required for certain roles. Usually nurses deal with injections. You may still need to learn the skill- whether it would be required by uni or an optional training course idk. Might be worth looking into
Reply 11
I don’t know for certain but I don’t think so, because it wouldn’t be required for certain roles. Usually nurses deal with injections. You may still need to learn the skill- whether it would be required by uni or an optional training course idk. Might be worth looking into

But I swear pharmacist makes the medicine and deals with patients why do they need to learn how to do injections I thought Doctors and Nurses just do that and I don’t wanna be a biomedical scientist search the role not that interested and pharmacy pay better in UK and other countries???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending