The Student Room Group

Given up with A levels

I take History, Psychology and Business at A level, in year 13, and honestly could drop out now. History is the bane of my life. I need ABB to get into the Uni I want but no matter how much work I put into History I keep getting d's and c's. My teachers say ask for help but tbh nothing they can actually do, I just can't do it. I spend so much time doing History that my other subjects are slacking. My teacher has practically told me a B is a lot of work. Just feel so stressed out when I think about school and what to do.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I’m in a similar position. I take Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. Chemistry is my issue. As annoying as it is, we don’t have much time left in school, so I’d say stick with it and keep trying. What else would you do if you dropped out now? At least you’ll have some qualifications to show for the last (however crappy) two years of your life. I feel stressed too. Try and rediscover your love of the subjects in your personal time, and I’m sure you’ve probably tried this, but shop around for foundation years which might lead into History as an alternative!
Original post by Tibstub
I’m in a similar position. I take Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. Chemistry is my issue. As annoying as it is, we don’t have much time left in school, so I’d say stick with it and keep trying. What else would you do if you dropped out now? At least you’ll have some qualifications to show for the last (however crappy) two years of your life. I feel stressed too. Try and rediscover your love of the subjects in your personal time, and I’m sure you’ve probably tried this, but shop around for foundation years which might lead into History as an alternative!

True, there's really not a lot of time and I want to do well but have completely lost all motivation, consistently getting nowhere. I don't have anything else I really want to do and History has nothing to do with what I'm applying for. Thank you tho! I hope Chemistry improves for you.
Reply 3
Original post by studentttt1234
True, there's really not a lot of time and I want to do well but have completely lost all motivation, consistently getting nowhere. I don't have anything else I really want to do and History has nothing to do with what I'm applying for. Thank you tho! I hope Chemistry improves for you.

I did my chemistry test and i found it quite hard. Im scared cos of what my parents would say?
I find chemistry easy but when i did the test today, i forgot to work out some of the maths questions and i messed up the multiple choice questions
Reply 4
I take History, Psychology and Business at A level, in year 13, and honestly could drop out now. History is the bane of my life. I need ABB to get into the Uni I want but no matter how much work I put into History I keep getting d's and c's. My teachers say ask for help but tbh nothing they can actually do, I just can't do it. I spend so much time doing History that my other subjects are slacking. My teacher has practically told me a B is a lot of work. Just feel so stressed out when I think about school and what to do.

I feel you...I take History & Psychology too
Tips that i do...
For history, what i find useful is printing off past papers - e.g. the source question and annotate around it - then check with the mark scheme

Also, AQA has exemplar answers so you can copy their structure on how to answer the question
(https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/history/AQA-70422-SQ-GUIDE.PDF)

Make a word bank - sentence starters to help your essay flow

Interpretation Q Sentence starters
It’s arguable that XYZ was the most reforming…
This is convincing…
This truly highlights the significance…
This is not overstated…
This is corroborated by the fact that…
Justified by…

The ‘Historian’
Enhancing ‘Historian’s’ view point
‘Historian’ highlights the significance of
‘Historian’ analyses…
‘Historian’ illustrates a shallow view

Arguments/Contradictory sentence starters
Conversely…
On the other hand…
Arguably…
as a result…
thus/therefore
hence
subsequently
accordingly

For the essay question, make a list of all the questions and do a mind map
Your subheadings would be something like
Agree:
Agree:
Disagree:
Disagree:

Also, what topics are you covering in AQA

For Psychology, I use flashcards for quick facts - Memrise is useful
Pastpaper questions is the way to go
Are you with AQA for psychology?

For the flashcards, put past paper questions on and the answers so you can get a feel of how you should structure your answer

For the 16marker,(AO1 = 6marks, AO3 = 10 marks) what i find useful is making PEEL paragraphs - you have to learn 3 AO3 points to get high marks

e.g. Describe and Evaluate the MSM
P: One limitation…Artificial material used to support MSM
EV: For example…
Peterson & Peterson used meaningless consonant syllables (VDF, KNW, TFG)
BUT in everyday life, we form memories of faces, names, places etc…
EXP: TMT…(this means that)
MSM not a good explain memory in everyday life
L: This dec. validity / this matters bc…
MSM not applied to everyday life

This format always worked for me

Make a timetable to organise your time - maybe something like:
mon
10am: Psychology - memory
11am
12am: Lunch
1pm
2pm: Business
etc

So you can really judge how much time you have and balance your day!

IDK if I'm helping or not but don't give up just yet! :smile: Also if you have any questions on exam technique feel free to ask
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you or have you not actually asked your history teacher for help?
Often the main thing that causes students to lose marks in history is that you don't have a good 'formula' for answering essays. Getting that can improve things a lot.
honestly same. glad i’m not alone in this. i’m trying to motivate all my friends saying it’s not long, you can do this and yet i’m actually struggling to motivate myself. i know my mocks flopped cause i panicked in my exams and i’m totally done for. i’m preparing myself for clearing on results day
Original post by WH108
Tips that i do...
For history, what i find useful is printing off past papers - e.g. the source question and annotate around it - then check with the mark scheme

Also, AQA has exemplar answers so you can copy their structure on how to answer the question

This is convincing…
This is not overstated…
Justified by…

The ‘Historian’
‘Historian’ analyses…

Conversely…
On the other hand…
Arguably…
as a result…
thus/therefore
hence
subsequently
accordingly

Agree:
Agree:
Disagree:
Disagree:

mon
11am
1pm
etc

So you can judge how much time you have

IDK if I'm helping or not but don't give up just yet! :smile:

Wow thank you so much, all of that's really useful. I feel history is so overwhelming I don't know where to start as we are constantly given source questions but I don't fully understand the content of the course yet, so I find my self learning random bits.

For History, I am AQA and the topics are The Tudors and Nazi Germany, not necessarily struggling with the Nazi side as it is actually interesting and easier to understand.
I'll start making a word bank! I just really struggle to argue for and against the points they make in the sources as I don't know if they're convincing or not due to not having that core knowledge there. However when it comes to learning that core knowledge, there is just so much and I don't know how to consolidate it down to a manageable amount (if that makes sense).

For psychology I am also on AQA. I don't think I struggle with it too much, but that is because I put a lot of work into it. I created mind maps which I then condensed onto flashcards and now I am creating a 16 mark essay plan for each topic to apply knowledge.

What grades are you hoping for? Thank you again for the advice, don't give up either!
Original post by Sinnoh
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you or have you not actually asked your history teacher for help?
Often the main thing that causes students to lose marks in history is that you don't have a good 'formula' for answering essays. Getting that can improve things a lot.

Thank you, and I honestly haven't, but just feel like because I struggle with a lot of it and she doesn't have a lot of free time, I don't know what to ask for help with.
We have been drilled with the formula/structure of mini intro, its convincing..., its non convincing..., mini conclusion for each source which I feel I understand but struggle to fill the paragraphs with content and my own analysis.
Do you take history?
Original post by watershower
honestly same. glad i’m not alone in this. i’m trying to motivate all my friends saying it’s not long, you can do this and yet i’m actually struggling to motivate myself. i know my mocks flopped cause i panicked in my exams and i’m totally done for. i’m preparing myself for clearing on results day

THIS!! I'm motivating others but am really struggling to even do 15 mins of work as I feel like there's so much to do; 15 mins is pointless, I need to spend 2/3 hours. Yet as I find it so boring and have become really demotivated because of the consistent low marks, I can't spend a lot of time on it without getting frustrated and wanting to drop out. ahah whoops
Reply 10
Wow thank you so much, all of that's really useful. I feel history is so overwhelming I don't know where to start as we are constantly given source questions but I don't fully understand the content of the course yet, so I find my self learning random bits.

For History, I am AQA and the topics are The Tudors and Nazi Germany, not necessarily struggling with the Nazi side as it is actually interesting and easier to understand.
I'll start making a word bank! I just really struggle to argue for and against the points they make in the sources as I don't know if they're convincing or not due to not having that core knowledge there. However when it comes to learning that core knowledge, there is just so much and I don't know how to consolidate it down to a manageable amount (if that makes sense).

For psychology I am also on AQA. I don't think I struggle with it too much, but that is because I put a lot of work into it. I created mind maps which I then condensed onto flashcards and now I am creating a 16 mark essay plan for each topic to apply knowledge.

What grades are you hoping for? Thank you again for the advice, don't give up either!

AAB or ABB
I'm doing Tudors and Russia and same! - struggling on Tudors - There is so much to cover for history but I think the most important thing is how you argue your points - I'll attach past exam questions about Henry 7th & 8th

For Tudors there is a running theme in all the types of questions they ask like how successful was (e.g.) Henry Vii/Viii's/Edward's/Mary's/Eliz
Consolidation of Power
Finance
Government
Religious policy
Foreign Policy

So making a mind map with these topics is useful or split the paper in half - one side saying successful, other unsuccessful then you have your key points and knowledge laid out

I think for Mary and Edward, there are questions comparing who's (e.g.) religious policy was more successful

For knowledge, I make flashcards like on Memrise or card - (That's really the best way to remember loose facts)

Interpretation Questions
Find 3 lines of arguments (LOA) and quote them - this will form your 3 mini paragraphs and make sure you form a judgement at the end of each paragraph

Intro
Interp 1
LOA 1
LOA 2
LOA 3

Interp 2
LOA 1
LOA 2
LOA 3

Interp 3
LOA 1
LOA 2
LOA 3

Con

Word bank
___viewpoint is convincing bc (use knowledge to back up ___ viewpoint)
___viewpoint is exaggerated
___viewpoint can be corroborated by the fact that....
____failed to take in account...

Source Qs- Analysing the structure of Examplar answers helps
(https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/history/AQA-70422O-Q1-S1-CEX-ADD.PDF)

1. No need for an intro
2. Tackle the provenance first to get that out the way: Nature, Origin, Purpose and Tone of the source
4. No need to cross reference
3. Use know knowledge to back up what the source is saying

e.g. (Idk much on Nazi germany) Nazi propganda poster on joining the Hitler Youth
The purpose of the source was to encourage children to join the Hitler Youth...
The enthusiastic tone was successful at rallying support...
This is corroborated by the fact that _____children joined in _____. This increases the value of this source...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Thank you, and I honestly haven't, but just feel like because I struggle with a lot of it and she doesn't have a lot of free time, I don't know what to ask for help with.
We have been drilled with the formula/structure of mini intro, its convincing..., its non convincing..., mini conclusion for each source which I feel I understand but struggle to fill the paragraphs with content and my own analysis.
Do you take history?

Remember - it's her job to help! You could start by asking what it is specifically that you lose marks on.
Yeah general structure is simple enough, it's how you pick what information to use and explaining its significance (or lack thereof) that takes more practice. You should ask to see some exemplar essays to compare and see what they do that you don't.
And I took history A-level (OCR, Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1992, Tudors 1547-1603 and Russian 1894-1941)
Original post by WH108
AAB or ABB
I'm doing Tudors and Russia and same! - struggling on Tudors - There is so much to cover for history but I think the most important thing is how you argue your points - I'll attach past exam questions about Henry 7th & 8th

For Tudors there is a running theme in all the types of questions they ask like how successful was (e.g.) Henry Vii/Viii's/Edward's/Mary's/Eliz
Consolidation of Power
Finance
Government
Religious policy
Foreign Policy

So making a mind map with these topics is useful or split the paper in half - one side saying successful, other unsuccessful then you have your key points and knowledge laid out

I think for Mary and Edward, there are questions comparing who's (e.g.) religious policy was more successful

For knowledge, I make flashcards like on Memrise or card - (That's really the best way to remember loose facts)

Interpretation Questions
Find 3 lines of arguments (LOA) and quote them - this will form your 3 paragraphs and make sure you form a judgement at the end of each paragraph

Intro
Interp A is convincing
Interp A is not convincing
Interp B is convincing
Interp B is not convincing
Con

Word bank
___viewpoint is convincing bc (use knowledge to back up ___ viewpoint)
___viewpoint is exaggerated
___viewpoint can be corroborated by the fact that....
____failed to take in account...

Source Qs- Analysing the structure of Examplar answers helps
(https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/history/AQA-70422O-Q1-S1-CEX-ADD.PDF)

1. No need for an intro
2. Tackle the provenance first to get that out the way: Nature, Origin, Purpose and Tone of the source
4. No need to cross reference
3. Use know knowledge to back up what the source is saying

e.g. (Idk much on Nazi germany) Nazi propaganda poster on joining the Hitler Youth
The purpose of the source was to encourage children to join the Hitler Youth...
The enthusiastic tone was successful at rallying support...
This is corroborated by the fact that _____children joined in _____. This increases the value of this source...

Thank you so much! and I am aiming for similar grades, just wondering, what is your 3rd A - Level.
All of what you have attached and said is extremly useful and has made me start realising the key stuff to revise and also where to start. I really like your mind map idea.

One thing about structure, I got told that we only analyse tone, purpose, origin, nature... for Nazi sources and not for Tudors??

Really can't thank you enough for everything you've attached, maybe all hope is not lost yet.
Also hope you get your grades!
Original post by Sinnoh
Remember - it's her job to help! You could start by asking what it is specifically that you lose marks on.
Yeah general structure is simple enough, it's how you pick what information to use and explaining its significance (or lack thereof) that takes more practice. You should ask to see some exemplar essays to compare and see what they do that you don't.
And I took history A-level (OCR, Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1992, Tudors 1547-1603 and Russian 1894-1941)

Thank you!! Next time I see her i'll ask and will also ask for exemplar essays as I feel that will help clear up the vagueness of structure. Thank you again! What grade did you end up getting in History?
Reply 14
Thank you so much! and I am aiming for similar grades, just wondering, what is your 3rd A - Level.
All of what you have attached and said is extremly useful and has made me start realising the key stuff to revise and also where to start. I really like your mind map idea.

One thing about structure, I got told that we only analyse tone, purpose, origin, nature... for Nazi sources and not for Tudors??

Really can't thank you enough for everything you've attached, maybe all hope is not lost yet.
Also hope you get your grades!

I do Biology - it's difficult :frown:

(I probably didn't make it clear) but yep the source Q is for Nazi Germany not Tudors
Here's a booklet my history teacher gave us
Original post by WH108
I do Biology - it's difficult :frown:

(I probably didn't make it clear) but yep the source Q is for Nazi Germany not Tudors
Here's a booklet my history teacher gave us

Wow Good Luck!! And thank you for that, that is so useful, just downloaded it!
Reply 16
Wow Good Luck!! And thank you for that, that is so useful, just downloaded it!

Good luck to you tooo :smile:
Reply 17
Thank you!! Next time I see her i'll ask and will also ask for exemplar essays as I feel that will help clear up the vagueness of structure. Thank you again! What grade did you end up getting in History?

I got an A overall. My results were weird, I got A*s in the coursework and the Civil Rights paper but Cs in the other two papers.
Original post by WH108
Tips that i do...

This is convincing…
This is not overstated…
Justified by…

The ‘Historian’
‘Historian’ analyses…

Conversely…
On the other hand…
Arguably…
as a result…
thus/therefore
hence
subsequently
accordingly

Agree:
Agree:
Disagree:
Disagree:

For the flashcards, put past paper questions on and the answers so you can get a feel of how you should structure your answer

For the 16marker,(AO1 = 6marks, AO3 = 10 marks) what i find useful is making PEEL paragraphs - you have to learn 3 AO3 points to get high marks

e.g. Describe and Evaluate the MSM
P: One limitation…Artificial material used to support MSM
EV: For example…
Peterson & Peterson used meaningless consonant syllables (VDF, KNW, TFG)
BUT in everyday life, we form memories of faces, names, places etc…
EXP: TMT…(this means that)
MSM not a good explain memory in everyday life
L: This dec. validity / this matters bc…
MSM not applied to everyday life

This format always worked for me

mon
11am
1pm
etc

So you can really judge how much time you have and balance your day!

IDK if I'm helping or not but don't give up just yet! :smile: Also if you have any questions on exam technique feel free to ask

^ I agree, most importantly you don't want to end up looking back on these days with shame and regret 5-10 years down the line. It can be very tempting to just give up, but don't!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest