The Student Room Group

1st order Differential Equation

Is it possible to solve this differential equation? I can't seem to separate the variables.

dθdv=cosθv+vsinθ\frac{d\theta }{dv}=\frac{\frac{-cos\theta }{v}+v}{-sin\theta }

Thanks
Original post by Glavien
Is it possible to solve this differential equation? I can't seem to separate the variables.

dθdv=cosθv+vsinθ\frac{d\theta }{dv}=\frac{\frac{-cos\theta }{v}+v}{-sin\theta }

Thanks

Yes it is solvable. It's a nonlinear ODE but you can bring it to a Bernoulli equation form:

dvdθ+f(θ)v+g(θ)vn=0\dfrac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} \theta} + f(\theta) v + g(\theta) v^{n} = 0

for some functions f,gf,g I leave for you to determine after correct rearrangement, and n0,1n \neq 0,1.

The Bernoulli substitution v=u11nv = u^{\frac{1}{1-n}} will bring this ODE down to a form you can solve with standard methods because it will make the ODE a linear one.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Yes it is solvable. It's a nonlinear ODE but you can bring it to a Bernoulli equation form:

dvdθ+f(θ)v+g(θ)vn=0\dfrac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} \theta} + f(\theta) v + g(\theta) v^{n} = 0

for some functions f,gf,g I leave for you to determine after correct rearrangement, and n0,1n \neq 0,1.

The Bernoulli substitution v=u11nv = u^{\frac{1}{1-n}} will bring this ODE down to a form you can solve with standard methods because it will make the ODE a linear one.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest