The Student Room Group

Oxford Material Science Discussion

Hi im applying for 2020 entry. Have the PAT tommorow. Don't know if anyone will reply but any tips? Roughly what mark could i get interview with. And any tips on interview/ what were your questions as materials science has like only one account of an interview online

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Danyaal-Abdul
Hi im applying for 2020 entry. Have the PAT tommorow. Don't know if anyone will reply but any tips? Roughly what mark could i get interview with. And any tips on interview/ what were your questions as materials science has like only one account of an interview online

Hi, very sorry but I can't offer much help, I'm in the same boat as you as I'm also taking the exam tomorrow. The only advice I can offer I suppose is just to keep a clear mind and don't get caught up on if you can't do a question, just move on and come back to it later, if you don't finish every single one that is fine. Make sure you write down all the information you can for the questions i.e. relevant equations as it helps you visualise what to do a bit better and minimum lets the examiners know your process which might net a couple of marks on the question.

Other than that best of luck I wish you all the best tomorrow just remember this PAT is all done this time tomorrow! I hope it all goes well for you and that this helped at least a little.
Reply 2
Original post by Will.g82
Hi, very sorry but I can't offer much help, I'm in the same boat as you as I'm also taking the exam tomorrow. The only advice I can offer I suppose is just to keep a clear mind and don't get caught up on if you can't do a question, just move on and come back to it later, if you don't finish every single one that is fine. Make sure you write down all the information you can for the questions i.e. relevant equations as it helps you visualise what to do a bit better and minimum lets the examiners know your process which might net a couple of marks on the question.

Other than that best of luck I wish you all the best tomorrow just remember this PAT is all done this time tomorrow! I hope it all goes well for you and that this helped at least a little.

Was kinda hoping one of last years applicants would reply but cheers mate. Hopefully we both do great and get in would be awesome to know somebody doing materials science if we both get in. Good luck lemme know how it goes

Hey I’m a current materials student at oxford. I’m a bit busy now (workload is high at the minute) but I’ll be back tomorrow and will give one pointers about the interviews and how to prepare for them sufficiently. Good luck with the PAT!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by NATHan w
Hey I’m a current materials student at oxford. I’m a bit busy now (workload is Hugh at the minute) but I’ll be back tomorrow and will give one pointers about the interviews and how to prepare for them sufficiently. Good luck with the PAT!

Thanks a lot Nathan exactly what I was hoping for. The PAT went okay today I reckon I got about half which had me really panicked but people on here are saying it’s the hardest they’ve ever done so hopefully that’s good enough to get an interview.
Thanks a lot Nathan exactly what I was hoping for. The PAT went okay today I reckon I got about half which had me really panicked but people on here are saying it’s the hardest they’ve ever done so hopefully that’s good enough to get an interview.

Hey there
I’ve temporarily uploaded some of the interview questions that have been written especially for materials science. Please download the questions from the link as the link expires in a week (I’ll try and upload them again when it runs out). I’d also highly recommend you guys practise curve sketching and I’ll put a link for this below. Also make sure you understand your personal statement thoroughly as they may ask you about it.

Interview questions : https://we.tl/t-Siup21N5tG
Curve sketching: https://www.whitman.edu/mathematics/calculus/calculus_05_Curve_Sketching.pdf
Reply 6
Just have a question for anyone studying at oxford rn. What kind of laptop do you need for materials ? Like do we need a laptop that can handle CAD because they’re like £800-1000 . Or just one for essays in which case much cheaper
Just have a question for anyone studying at oxford rn. What kind of laptop do you need for materials ? Like do we need a laptop that can handle CAD because they’re like £800-1000 . Or just one for essays in which case much cheaper

Hey there! Get one that can handle programming (python/MATLAB). We do a bit of CAD as well. You don’t need the top of the line core i7 but any good laptop would do. The higher level programming stuff is in year 3 possibly 4 depending if you do the modelling project.
Nathan
Reply 8
What laptop do you have if you don’t mind me asking ? Or a specific laptop you’d maybe recommend because people have it at uni
What laptop do you have if you don’t mind me asking ? Or a specific laptop you’d maybe recommend because people have it at uni

I have a 2019 MacBook Air (got the student deal back in September). I’d say half of us have a Mac(either lower spec pro or mid spec air) but the other half have a solid windows machine ie Microsoft surface laptop. In terms of specs I’d defo get at least 8 GB or RAM and maybe look at a core i5
Reply 10
Thanks a lot man. You’ve been such a help considering there’s very little information about materials as a whole especially oxford materials. Do you know roughly when the letters go out for materials ? Like quite a few of my friends got letters for rejection/ invite to interview. Can’t handle the wait anymore. Also what college you go to ? Maybe I’ll see you around if I get an interview
Thanks a lot man. You’ve been such a help considering there’s very little information about materials as a whole especially oxford materials. Do you know roughly when the letters go out for materials ? Like quite a few of my friends got letters for rejection/ invite to interview. Can’t handle the wait anymore. Also what college you go to ? Maybe I’ll see you around if I get an interview

Yeah if you any you guys need any advice with interviews then I’m more than happy to help. I got told by my tutor the department has had the shortlisting meeting so you’ll hear very soon it’s just a matter of time. I’d say you should defo hear by end of next week. Personally I go to Mansfield and I had my second interview at queens
Reply 12
Okay that’s good I wanna know. I’m just worried that the fact I have only 3 a levels an As and EPQ. rather then 4 might be what makes it so I don’t get a place. Like I’d be able to handle 4 I just didn’t really think it necessary in the first year which is why I’ve tried to make up by essentially taking up to AS subjects. But I guess I’ll just have to see
Okay that’s good I wanna know. I’m just worried that the fact I have only 3 a levels an As and EPQ. rather then 4 might be what makes it so I don’t get a place. Like I’d be able to handle 4 I just didn’t really think it necessary in the first year which is why I’ve tried to make up by essentially taking up to AS subjects. But I guess I’ll just have to see

Tbh I only did 3 a levels and an as in FM but I’m fine. I’d say if the people that did a levels, about half did 3 a levels. Further maths would be helpful as most of the maths in first year is FM but some parts are way above further maths. Having almost finished first term, the thing that caught me off guard was the very fast pace of learning.
Reply 14
Anyone heard back yet for interview ? Trinity haven’t replied to me yet :/
Reply 15
Got an

Original post by NATHan w
Tbh I only did 3 a levels and an as in FM but I’m fine. I’d say if the people that did a levels, about half did 3 a levels. Further maths would be helpful as most of the maths in first year is FM but some parts are way above further maths. Having almost finished first term, the thing that caught me off guard was the very fast pace of learning.

I’ve got an interview !!! It says I have to be there the day before by 6pm. Do you happen to know the earliest time you can come in
Got an

I’ve got an interview !!! It says I have to be there the day before by 6pm. Do you happen to know the earliest time you can come in

Well done on getting the interview! I think you can ask the college you applied to (or allocated to) what is the earliest time you can come. They’ll usually allow you to come during the day so just send them an email. Make sure you prepare well for the interviews and good luck!
Reply 17
thanks I will do gonna look over the stuff you sent me
Reply 18
My interview is Tuesday coming but I’ll be there Monday. Got one at trinity and one at St Anne’s. Any final tips ?
My interview is Tuesday coming but I’ll be there Monday. Got one at trinity and one at St Anne’s. Any final tips ?

Explain everything you do in detail. Make sure you show every step of your working out. If you ever get completely stuck, try and make sensible guesses give reasons for why you’re making them. Try and avoid just sitting there and saying nothing. If you need clarification to a question as it wasn’t clear what they wanted you to do, then ask. Try and put yourself in a mindset of learning, and listen out for any pointers or hints they may give you to do the question. Lastly, don’t panick and try to ‘enjoy’ the experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending