The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Once on the last day of term, I was so happy that I just emptied my wallet on one. He got a lot of drug money that day.
Reply 2
I hate giving them money but some can be intimidating... even then I do my best not to.
I personally ignore them. I remember one summer I was stood at the bus stop and some beggin druggie came upto me and said '''excuse me, you got any spare change?'', I said ''no'' and then she started getting feisty with me shouting ''look at you with your posh phone and etc'', I was like WTF!?

They irritate me.
Reply 4
I buy them food, I would do it a lot more if the government would just give me my bloody tax back!
Reply 5
Only if they do something to deserve it (ie play music, etc).
Reply 6
Airel
Once on the last day of term, I was so happy that I just emptied my wallet on one. He got a lot of drug money that day.

rougly how much was it? i'm curious.:biggrin:
Reply 7
what if they are just sitting there, looking depressed. don't you feel sorry for them? and you see everyone else is just walking past completely ignoring them.
Reply 8
Occasionally. I once gave a guy in Germany some outrageous amount of Euros. Problem is that 9 times out of 10 it just goes on drugs anyway.
Reply 9
Ignore. I'm sad and have no sympathy..lol
I think to myself life gives you opportunities
if you don't have the initiative to sign on , or get a job- why should i give money.
Reply 10
dunnoaUSERname
rougly how much was it? i'm curious.:biggrin:

About £7

He was just sitting there too, he might not have been a beggar.
I was once coming out of a KFC drive through with my window down, and a beggar came and clung onto my car asking me for money. He actually had his hands holding onto my car door, so I stopped. I gave him a pound cause I felt a little bit guilty, but then he started asking for more. He was practically climbing into my car window.

At this point I got a bit freaked out and was like "Get the f... off my car!" but he wouldn't, so I just floored it and the poor guy ended up on his ass. lol
Reply 12
dunnoaUSERname
what if they are just sitting there, looking depressed. don't you feel sorry for them? and you see everyone else is just walking past completely ignoring them.

I ignore them mostly (though I don't have much experience with them here in Gothenburg. Aren't too many here).

In Dublin (the capital of beggars), loads of beggars were competing with each other :p: . They played music, drew pictures, etc. Funny to watch.
Reply 13
Airel
About £7

He was just sitting there too, he might not have been a beggar.

Wow, he must have been swimming in drugs:rolleyes: .
Reply 14
I don't usually. There's a begger that sits jsut down from where I work, always has a fag in his hand asking for money. He's got a house.
Reply 15
Ignore.. I have little money as it is.. lol
Paxdax

In Dublin (the capital of beggars), loads of beggars were competing with each other :p: . They played music, drew pictures, etc. Funny to watch.

Ahhh yeah Dublin.. i went there with friends and gave away 10 euros in 2 days to beggars and then i was like "what the hell?" and since then never given any money to beggars.

There were some cool buskers though.. making dogs out of sand and using fire poi ! :yep:
I normally give them mcdonalds, I have a friend who works in mcdonalds so I get food at discounted prices. If you give them food, they cant buy drugs with it.
Reply 18
I'd rather buy a Big Issue off someone, which is something I do quite regularly. At least they're making an effort to change something about their lives, and as far as I'm aware anyone who's homeless/vulnerably housed can sell it.
When I used to work in a bakery we threw out 'stales' every day which had only been in the shop for a day, so I told a couple of homeless people where we put the bags of stales so they could get free food.

And I try to buy the Big Issue when I can.

Latest

Trending

Trending