The Student Room Group

Activities to do with friends while off in Summer

Hi all...

I don't know about you, but I never know what to do with all the spare time over summer when I'm not working etc. Like most students I'm on a strict budget now and rather skint because of costs of uni etc.!

But just wondering what you guys do to occupy yourselfs when you got a day off etc.

Its like today a couple of us are free but don't know what to do. Have limited access to the car and funds.

Camping if you got a weekend.
Could go play golf.
Playstation and all that stuff
Footy

What kind of things you all do that makes the day fun?

I don't want to spend my time back home being bored ! :P
Reply 1
The Zoo!
Reply 2
I quite like to get high and go in the sun.
Reply 3
BBQ in the park, Quasar, play centurian with tea (warning, that gets pretty extreme after a while)
Reply 4
Go and have a picnic somewhere! It's quite cheap to buy stuff from the supermarket and prepare it, or you could just take stuff you already have at home haha.
Reply 5
well, some stuff i do.
1)hit some bars where some of my friends work at, whereby im given free drinks :biggrin:
2)lan parties
3)gather up parties, like today im going to this barbeque thing, should be fun
4)beaches in the morning if we want to swim or beach party at night if we want something like that(i live in cyprus:tongue:)
5)pre-drinks at a house, then go clubbing
6)paintball
7)sometimes we play strategy games online, its fun;p coke with ice next to me = paradise
8)house parties are organised all the time here

generally theres always something to do, especially at night, its easier to get around by car because of the weather. (its 40 degrees in the morning-thats bad!) so its all good here.
Reply 6
lucky you mr cyprus!!

from a more english response....

Go each buy some cheap drink and have a massive beach get together and make it so anyone can come and bring whoever they want. that way you meet new people and it encourages more things like this to happen... no beach then a field no field then.... :smile: smile!

If one of your friends is allowed people over then go round and do some painting or something lol we painted a friends fence last year and it took a whole day and it was good fun

go to the gym?

i agree with your boredem though, im booking holidays like crazy to try and solve it at the moment :frown:

2 jobs? that might help :frown:

let me know what good response you get though!!
Volunteer, its great and you meet loads of cool people :smile:
Reply 8
Hi all, cheers for this haha, 6 weeks was enough. 4 months is loads, especially as we can't really afford a holiday to break it up!

We went and randomly did some pitch and putt and went the arcades today. Think were going to do some golf and tennis and that. Few drinks on a couple of nights and I'm having some mates round nxt week due to a free house.

Going to use some of these suggestions.

See things like zoo and paintballing and stuff seem like a good laugh and good day out but probably be way expensive.

I'm just glad one mate has access to a car because without that god knows what i'd be doin :tongue:
My friends and I are just having each other round at random times in the summer, sitting in the garden, mini-picnics/trips to the nearest food place, watching DVDs/dancing around, I've been invited to a mini-'rave' in someone's basement...
...being on a tight budget as well we're also trying to organise some sort of 'holiday', probably Cornwall, as well.
Reply 10
Play Frisbee!

Um some of the things we're doing/did include:
Going to free festivals/nights out in town to see new bands
Laserforce
Getting a paddling pool and some sun loungers and cocktails and having a 'pool party'
Day trip to London by train (with student rail cards)
Camping for the weekend in the local forest - ghost stories and marshmallows!
Picnics both indoors and outdoors
Food days where we basically stay in and bake cakes/ make pizzas/ have food fights
Going to the cinema
Reply 11
well...nice game of Tennis today. 4 of us and that and few drinks after..

Then I wake up and the rain comes out...-.- its JULY.

Any ideas for what to do inside?

We don't really want to go round to anyones house and have a limit of 5 people due to one car.

Bowling only thing I can think of at the mo 8-), any other ideas...
Reply 12
Play some board games :smile:

It could be fun i guess....if you got drinking involved somehow
Reply 13
Disassemble household electrical appliances.
Make an action movie, if one of you has a camera. If not, it'll have to be a play.
Watch a film.
Reply 15
SoundDevastation
Volunteer, its great and you meet loads of cool people :smile:

I was thinking of doing that actually... any ideas of how I could get involved in something in London over the next couple of months???
JLou01
I was thinking of doing that actually... any ideas of how I could get involved in something in London over the next couple of months???

Just find an organisation who's work you support and offer your time! I work for Oxfam, a local social centre, and ive done work for Viva!.. whatever you're interested in really. :smile:
Reply 17
SoundDevastation
Just find an organisation who's work you support and offer your time! I work for Oxfam, a local social centre, and ive done work for Viva!.. whatever you're interested in really. :smile:

So, how exactly would I get it going - can I apply online or do I phone them up and how soon might I be able to start??? (Thanks by the way for the reply.)
JLou01
So, how exactly would I get it going - can I apply online or do I phone them up and how soon might I be able to start??? (Thanks by the way for the reply.)

Its different for all of them.. some are more official than others. For Oxfam you have a to fill in an application form which you can pick up from the stores, but for a less major organisation they'll probably say just turn up. Just contact them by person/phone/email and ask how to get involved.. They will always be pleased to have you!

Latest

Trending

Trending