The Student Room Group

Sad outside of uni

Im someone who has always loved academics, maths in particular, I just finished my undergraduate degree at cambridge, and applying for a postgrad, but when i have time away, to relax or just be a normal person away from academics, i feel so so down, and hopeless in life, how can i change this to just feel normal? thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Im someone who has always loved academics, maths in particular, I just finished my undergraduate degree at cambridge, and applying for a postgrad, but when i have time away, to relax or just be a normal person away from academics, i feel so so down, and hopeless in life, how can i change this to just feel normal? thank you!

Maybe hang around with friends and do things which you enjoy. I know what you mean as your always focused on uni every day and all of a sudden you have a couple of months off and it feels lonely and less productive as your not doing anything.
Step outside your comfort zone and perhaps do some voluntary work - mix with people you would not normally mix with and get a different perspective.
Anon,

Congrats on completing your degree :clap2:!

University summers are long, so it is useful to have a plan so you don't get too restless, and so that you don't feel like you are doing nothing, wasting time or getting bored.

You could find a summer job. This will get you out and about, meeting people and earning some extra cash.

You could give yourself a mini project over the summer e.g. to read some books that you have wanted to read for ages but haven't got round to, or maybe coding and trying to get to a certain level, or even writing a blog a day. The main thing doing something fun but purposeful : )

You could see if people around you need some extra help. Maybe that's helping a family member or neighbour with some babysitting, gardening, or shopping.

You could go on holiday and go sightseeing. (There may even be things in your area that you have never been to or visited. This might be the summer to finally go to some of these places!)

You could also join a sports club/group in your area or take up running. Perhaps you could work towards doing a 5K or a 10K race by the end of the year? Exercise/sport is a great way to keep busy while doing something which is good for your physical and mental health!

Some people relax by doing nothing, other people relax by doing activities.

It's about what helps you feel more refreshed and energised.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

Firstly, congratulations on completing your degree at Cambridge! This is a huge achievement and you deserve some time to rest and recuperate. While this can be a stressful time, I know many people who are in a similar situation. Could you try connecting with a friend who has also just finished their undergraduate degree?

During the summers, I tend to try to fill my time as much as possible. This usually includes working a part-time job as much as possible, travelling and catching up with friends and family who I haven't seen while focusing on university.

If you feel like you need something related to academia to inspire your brain, why not check out your local library and see what relevant literature there is on your topic?

I hope this helps, best wishes:smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about how you've been feeling. What do you think is the cause of feeling down when away from academics? that should be the first question to ask yourself. Sometimes I feel like this too but it's usually because of idleness leading to thinking about things you usually don't have the time to when studying. But I recommend spending time with people whether you family or friends or finding a hobby, trying out new things or just do anything to keep busy. There's no secret to feeling better, you just have to get up and have a daily plan and start adjust to the new situation. Hope this helps and you start feeling better!

Benedicta,
Digital Ambassador- UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending