The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shimolishah15
Is it worth subscribing to medify for UCAT at this stage?

Na not yet just use this time to get to grips with all the types of qs and techniques u need to use for now using ucat books and free online resources then 2 months before your UCAT buy medify.
Original post by Anonymous778
Hi, I just wanted to ask, where can I learn these keyboard shortcuts for the ucat?

Online as far as I remember. I learnt about the calculator shortcuts through a Kharma medic video. I think that medify had some notes on shortcuts and then also possibly a video if you have a subscription. I watched a bunch of videos and did a ton of research about UCAT and I think (this was almost a year ago so can't 100% remember) it initially came up there. I also got a small note of it in my day course notes.
Hi,so I’m going to be doing the UCAT exam this year and I’m not sure what books or websites to use.Also is it worth enrolling in the online courses and if it is please can you specify which ones.Any advice would be appreciated and I hope to start soon preparing.

ThAnks
Original post by Summerset1276
Hi,so I’m going to be doing the UCAT exam this year and I’m not sure what books or websites to use.Also is it worth enrolling in the online courses and if it is please can you specify which ones.Any advice would be appreciated and I hope to start soon preparing.

ThAnks

Read the posts above.

Post originally created by ecolier.
ik this might sound as a silly question, but someone mentioned that before practising, it's more effective to actually learn and study each section (if that makes sense). how can I do this please? thanks x
Original post by PastelColours
ik this might sound as a silly question, but someone mentioned that before practising, it's more effective to actually learn and study each section (if that makes sense). how can I do this please? thanks x

Just go through each section using the ucat website tutorials, isc book if you have it, or medify. Medify has a whole study section dedicated to getting your head around the sections and question types before going onto practice.
Original post by Keels25
Just go through each section using the ucat website tutorials, isc book if you have it, or medify. Medify has a whole study section dedicated to getting your head around the sections and question types before going onto practice.

ah ok thank you x
I did UCAT last year and honestly Medify is great. But don’t count on it for Verbal reasoning as my score was totally different. For the other sections you really should try list common themes and patterns. There are numerous YouTube videos that will outline the common factors of each and what you should look for! Hope this helps.
Hi everyone! I did the UCAT last year and my best general advice is:
1. Try to book the test before you start back at college/sixth form in September! My college had exams and assessments in the first few weeks of term, as well as you’ll be getting together your personal statement - you don’t need the added stress.
2. Prepare to an extent, you don’t have to practice for months on end to do well, but a good few weeks of hard practice is fine, and also complete the online mock tests set by UCAT a few days before as that’s as close to the real thing.
3. Medify personally is the best resource, it allows you to complete full mock tests in the timed conditions and there is an endless amount of practice questions on there. However, don’t get too comfortable if you’re getting high scores on Medify as I know others who were quite disappointed with their real results, it’s not always the best indicator of how you’ll do. I’d advise to find an area in which is your weakest in (mine was definitely verbal reasoning).
4. And finally, it’s a very stressful and not so pleasant experience I must say, try to relax as much as you can on the day!
Original post by student.28
Hi everyone! I did the UCAT last year and my best general advice is:
1. Try to book the test before you start back at college/sixth form in September! My college had exams and assessments in the first few weeks of term, as well as you’ll be getting together your personal statement - you don’t need the added stress.
2. Prepare to an extent, you don’t have to practice for months on end to do well, but a good few weeks of hard practice is fine, and also complete the online mock tests set by UCAT a few days before as that’s as close to the real thing.
3. Medify personally is the best resource, it allows you to complete full mock tests in the timed conditions and there is an endless amount of practice questions on there. However, don’t get too comfortable if you’re getting high scores on Medify as I know others who were quite disappointed with their real results, it’s not always the best indicator of how you’ll do. I’d advise to find an area in which is your weakest in (mine was definitely verbal reasoning).
4. And finally, it’s a very stressful and not so pleasant experience I must say, try to relax as much as you can on the day!

Thanks a lot for the advice - what ucat score did you end up with and where did you apply?
Original post by aisha_98
does anyone have a list of free resources? I can't really afford to spend a lot on multiple things so I'd like to maximise the amount of free UCAT things I can use. thanks

Free Resources for the UCAT

I thought it may be helpful to outline some free UCAT resources available. When I sat mine in 2011 I couldn't afford anything more than the ISC book (back then it was 600 Questions which you can now get for 1p!) and any free resources I could find - official UCAT stuff. Not everyone has the ability to pay for expensive courses. Some resources I know of:

UCAT Official resources - 500 free questions available. Going to be the best replica of the real exam, both in terms of the look of the site, but also the difficulty and design of questions. I would recommend using this closer to your exam date, the week or 2 before.

Passmedicine - 6 months free access (which basically takes you to the end of the UCAT season) of 3,000 questions in the question bank, covering all 5 sections. Excellent resource and really would've helped me out back in the day!

The Medical School Application Guide (The MSAG) - free online UCAT course access until the end of April, which is videos to actually teach you methods, not practice questions. Free 1 hour of UCAT or BMAT tutoring.

Places like Kaplan, Medify, Medic Portal seems to have a handful of free questions, not much over 20 each.

There is also the Australian site - MedEntry AU, which is like a version of Medify with 10,000 questions, they offer 50 questions for free access.

There are also general aptitude test sites that haven't been designed specifically for the UCAT, but more for job/selection centre preparation tests. These would be good if you're running out of resources, particularly in 1 or 2 sections. Some good sites with a fair amount for free are Assessment day UK and Practice Aptitude Tests.

I think access to Passmedicine with the UCAT official resources and perhaps the above MSAG course would be a really well rounded package for someone who can't afford much more. I really hope this helps someone!
I can't recommend passmedicine enough, people say you need medify but you don't.. Passmedicine is free and explains all the answers. It was close to real exam, if anything a bit harder so I was very prepared I think (medify is known for being a bit easier). The ucat is already putting some students at a disadvantage for costing so much, so you shouldn't need to pay £50+ to achieve more... I got an average of 720, and got 4 offers for medicine this year. Please message me if you have any questions x
So, I just want to know if there is a difference between the cram/study and prepare packages?

And also between the season packages and just normal fixed month ones, as the season packages are more expensive then month ones, despite the months ones being for a longer period of time.......

can anyone help pls :smile:))
Original post by gilbertemmajo
I can't recommend passmedicine enough, people say you need medify but you don't.. Passmedicine is free and explains all the answers. It was close to real exam, if anything a bit harder so I was very prepared I think (medify is known for being a bit easier). The ucat is already putting some students at a disadvantage for costing so much, so you shouldn't need to pay £50+ to achieve more... I got an average of 720, and got 4 offers for medicine this year. Please message me if you have any questions x

When did you start revising with passmedicine.

Which unis did you get offers from and congrats.

Hey! Congrats on your offers! So did you use only passmedicine to prepare and not anything else at all? When did you start your preparation?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by omarwastaken
If you give me your Gmail I can send you a word document of the screen shots of all the different AR questions in medify.

Could you please send this to me
I sat the UCAT last year and got 2980 B2 (still in shock as this was sooooo much better than my mocks as I couldn’t get above 2600!!)
I sat my UCAT exam late September and I prepared for approximately 2-3 weeks using the KAPLAN programme which was great and I would totally recommend it! I somehow fluked the verbal reasoning and got 850!!
when abouts do you usually get your UCAT results after doing the test? is it a few weeks/months? and regarding the dates, i know they're subject to change given the COVID-19 situation, but the website says the dates are 1st july-6th october- does that mean that you can take the test at any date within those two dates? (sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious, i dont really have anyone to guide me through the uni application and testing processes)
Original post by aeneas_son
when abouts do you usually get your UCAT results after doing the test? is it a few weeks/months? and regarding the dates, i know they're subject to change given the COVID-19 situation, but the website says the dates are 1st july-6th october- does that mean that you can take the test at any date within those two dates? (sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious, i dont really have anyone to guide me through the uni application and testing processes)

You get your results immediately after you’ve completed the test

Latest

Trending

Trending