The Student Room Group

Got a 9 in Religious Studies, ask anything :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by asubramanil16
How long did you revise for?

As I took it a year early, i was the only subject I had to revise for so I had a lot more available free time. I had a mock in November which I revised for over about 2 weeks. Then for my final exam in May, I had to teach myself most of the content at home so that kind of counted as my revision as I didn't finish that until the middle of April. I'd say I spent a good two months or so doing little bits most days, perhaps answering a few practice questions then in the two weeks leading up to the first exam I made quote cards and learnt most of them which I then found really helpful in the exam. In terms of length for each time I revised, I'm someone who can generally focus on one subject for a couple hours, have a short break then go back for a few more hours so that's what I did over the weekends. Hope that helps a bit?
Reply 21
Original post by princetonalec
I could make a pretty good argument for continuing it! RS at ALEVEL is typically philosophy based provided you're not doing a confessional degree, and it can help put you a foot forwards for jobs working with other people.
Of course don't take it if you dont want to, but if you're interested in RS in general get the books Engaging With Living Religion and Food Sex And Strangers, as those two should completely undo everything you've learned so far (GCSE RS education is really quite abysmal!)
Wishing you the best!

Haha thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by gcse2020(ಠ_ಠ)
How did you revise?

I wrote notes on all the content then tested myself by creating a mindmap that included everything I could remember about that topic including quotes! Then afterwards, practice questions are essential I've found for RS as they're literally in exactly the same format for each section in each paper (for AQA anyway) so practicing the style helped me a lot. It meant I could bang out a 12 marker in well under 10 mins so I finished each of my exams with about 30 mins to spare at the end :smile:
How do you revise as I got a grade 3 and my target is an 8 I’m really stressed
Reply 24
Original post by Rodaaa1223
How do you revise as I got a grade 3 and my target is an 8 I’m really stressed

Which exam board are you? For AQA there’s a very structured set of questions that take exam technique to answer but then you hardly need to know anything to go well. If you do AQA then let me know and I’ll go through how to answer each one if that would help?
In terms of revision, I made notes on all the content, then looked over it, including quotes. Then made a what I called ‘splurge’ of everything I could remember about that topic (for example Islam practices) then looked back at notes to review what I missed. I then made quote cards for some key quotes - maybe one quote per pillar of Islam, one quote for each characteristic of God etc so I could have things to support my answers in the 5 and 12 mark questions. I’ve mentioned before about a purple and green revision guide for AQA that was a lifesaver, had pages of practice questions and 3 of the 12 markers of practiced came up in the exam. That would be my no. 1 tip as there’s only a limited amount of questions and topics they can actually ask you about. Hope that helped? Let me know if you want up know anything else :wink:
Original post by hweller
Whilst it's not a particularly big thing to get a 9 in RS I'm free to give any tips or help answer questions. I did Christianity, Islam and four Ethical themes and dropped 7 marks across both exams.

im doing Christianity and Islam and i am so scared i have my mock on Wednesday and hoping for a 8 in it as it is one grade under what i want to achieve in June how did you revise and how did you structure 12 mark questions
Reply 26
Original post by liamlarner
im doing Christianity and Islam and i am so scared i have my mock on Wednesday and hoping for a 8 in it as it is one grade under what i want to achieve in June how did you revise and how did you structure 12 mark questions

Good luck with your mock! I’ve posted some things up in the thread about how I revised so feel free to take a look.
For the 12 mark questions, I started off with a tiny one or two sentence intro where I defined a key word in the question or stated that it was a contentious issue that many Christians/ Muslims disagree on (only if that is the case of course, but it shows you understand there are multiple interpretations of scripture right from the beginning :smile:). Then I started off with the side of the argument that I generally disagreed with, giving a point with an explanation and generally a quote. (I’d write two points for each side of the argument if you can.) For the counter argument, I’d start with saying ‘However, some people/Christians may agree/disagree with this because...’ then give a point, explanation and quote to back it up. You can also definitely include a non religious point of view and give the secular side of the argument.
Generally with the beliefs section this is the case, practice 12 markers that say ‘God can’t be all loving if he sends people the hell’. For this, I’d write something like this:

This is something that many Christians struggle with, as it’s hard to understand why a God who loves us would want us to be subject to eternal separation from him.

Many non Christians would agree with this as it seems to be a completely illogical idea that someone who loves us wants us to suffer. Furthermore, the Bible says ‘God so loved the world’. This seems very contradictory as Christians are told that he loves us but that if we don’t follow him we will be thrown into hell ‘where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth’.

However, Christians would disagree with this statement as these two ideas are taught as truth in parallel in the Bible, so we must believe in them both. When we were created, God designed us to be in a relationship with him but gave us free will. Death was never originally meant to be a part of life, but after Adam and Eve ate the fruit in the Garden of Eden, sin and death entered the world - this is known as The Fall and is where original sin comes from. We chose to disobey God but he has given us a chance at reception: by sending Jesus, his ‘one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not die but have eternal life’. God’s sovereignty means he cannot be in the presence of sin, so we ourselves are not holy enough to be in his presence, but if we choose to follow Jesus, who died an excruciating death for us on the cross and rose miraculously three days later, then we are redeemed and can be with him for eternity.

I’m conclusion, I disagree with this statement as God is so loving that he sacrificed his son for us, and even though we turned our back on him, he hasn’t turned away from us.

That’s about what I think I would write and I reckon that would be full marks (or maybe one mark off as it’s slightly repetitive as I haven’t written a 12 marker in almost a year!) based on what I’ve written before. Hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hweller
Good luck with your mock! I’ve posted some things up in the thread about how I revised so feel free to take a look.
For the 12 mark questions, I started off with a tiny one or two sentence intro where I defined a key word in the question or stated that it was a contentious issue that many Christians/ Muslims disagree on (only if that is the case of course, but it shows you understand there are multiple interpretations of scripture right from the beginning :smile:). Then I started off with the side of the argument that I generally disagreed with, giving a point with an explanation and generally a quote. (I’d write two points for each side of the argument if you can.) For the counter argument, I’d start with saying ‘However, some people/Christians may agree/disagree with this because...’ then give a point, explanation and quote to back it up. You can also definitely include a non religious point of view and give the secular side of the argument.
Generally with the beliefs section this is the case, practice 12 markers that say ‘God can’t be all loving if he sends people the hell’. For this, I’d write something like this:

This is something that many Christians struggle with, as it’s hard to understand why a God who loves us would want us to be subject to eternal separation from him.

Many non Christians would agree with this as it seems to be a completely illogical idea that someone who loves us wants us to suffer. Furthermore, the Bible says ‘God so loved the world’. This seems very contradictory as Christians are told that he loves us but that if we don’t follow him we will be thrown into hell ‘where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth’.

However, Christians would disagree with this statement as these two ideas are taught as truth in parallel in the Bible, so we must believe in them both. When we were created, God designed us to be in a relationship with him but gave us free will. Death was never originally meant to be a part of life, but after Adam and Eve ate the fruit in the Garden of Eden, sin and death entered the world - this is known as The Fall and is where original sin comes from. We chose to disobey God but he has given us a chance at reception: by sending Jesus, his ‘one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not die but have eternal life’. God’s sovereignty means he cannot be in the presence of sin, so we ourselves are not holy enough to be in his presence, but if we choose to follow Jesus, who died an excruciating death for us on the cross and rose miraculously three days later, then we are redeemed and can be with him for eternity.

I’m conclusion, I disagree with this statement as God is so loving that he sacrificed his son for us, and even though we turned our back on him, he hasn’t turned away from us.

That’s about what I think I would write and I reckon that would be full marks (or maybe one mark off as it’s slightly repetitive as I haven’t written a 12 marker in almost a year!) based on what I’ve written before. Hope that helps! :smile:

What 12 markers came up in the 2019 paper 2? If you could remember them that would be amazing!
Thanks
Reply 28
Original post by Hassnain.Rashid
What 12 markers came up in the 2019 paper 2? If you could remember them that would be amazing!
Thanks

For families and relationships it was about homosexuality and whether it was okay to disagree with it or not I’m pretty certain.
I can’t remember anything else off the top of my head but I’ll have a think and ask my friend who also did it early!
Reply 29
Thanks

For peace and conflict I want to say it was about war and if it’s ever okay... I may be wrong about that but I think it did come up!
For crime and punishment I think it was about the aims of punishment like retribution and reformation and which is more important.
Religion and life might have been about animal testing... only a vague memory so don’t take my word for it!
Hope this helps! (Those are the 4 themes I did so don’t know about the other ones, sorry!)
When is your mock?
Original post by hweller
For peace and conflict I want to say it was about war and if it’s ever okay... I may be wrong about that but I think it did come up!
For crime and punishment I think it was about the aims of punishment like retribution and reformation and which is more important.
Religion and life might have been about animal testing... only a vague memory so don’t take my word for it!
Hope this helps! (Those are the 4 themes I did so don’t know about the other ones, sorry!)
When is your mock?

tomorrow! haha
thank you soo much!!
did you do existence of God?
tomorrow! haha
thank you soo much!!

Oh wait nvm, just saw the other message.
Can you share any tips for writing essays and maybe an example?
Reply 33
Imagine caring about religious studies. I'm sure that single 9 in the most irrelevant subject in the world will get you far.
Reply 34
tomorrow! haha
thank you soo much!!

No I didn’t sorry! But good luck with your mock tomorrow :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by apave
Imagine caring about religious studies. I'm sure that single 9 in the most irrelevant subject in the world will get you far.

Oh yeah I know, was bored and was procrastinating with English revision when I made this thread, wasn’t a flex lmao!
Reply 36
Original post by Lala143

I think I wrote an example of a 12 mark essay further back in the chat and how I’d structure it?
I’d always do a short one sentence intro that explained a key word or concept in the question or just stated that it was a controversial issue if that was the case. I’d then do a paragraph for one side of the argument that had maybe two key points with a quote and explanation then repeat that for arguments against. Then a short conclusion developing my most convincing argument or introducing a new small idea to round it off and justify my decision. Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by hweller

Original post by Lala143

In case you missed it I think I’ve quoted the example essay I did :smile:
do you remember any of the question?
Original post by hweller
In case you missed it I think I’ve quoted the example essay I did :smile:

Thank you:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest