The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of reading

Just wanted to know a bit about university of reading. Got an unconditional from there and want to know what it’s like honestly from a students perspective. Nightlife, societies, accommodation ect. I went to an open day and got a general vibe of the campus ect but wanted to see if there was a more honest view as open days can seem a bit forced. Thanks a bunch! X
Original post by wordsandroses
Just wanted to know a bit about university of reading. Got an unconditional from there and want to know what it’s like honestly from a students perspective. Nightlife, societies, accommodation ect. I went to an open day and got a general vibe of the campus ect but wanted to see if there was a more honest view as open days can seem a bit forced. Thanks a bunch! X

No idea what Readings like (hopefully a Reading student can fill you in on here).

But Open days are never really what Uni is like,
-often they are deliberately organised at times when students arent on campus. For example almost all summer & September open days occur before term, and often the offer holder days etc, are held on Wednesday (when students have BUCS) hence campus is far less populated then it is normally.
-IMO open days are a really good chance to look around the campus, see some accommodation and ask lots of question, and find out if you'll be comfortable in the environment & on the course .. But the reality is your never gonna know whats its like to be a student at uni until you arrive.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
No idea what Readings like (hopefully a Reading student can fill you in on here).

But Open days are never really what Uni is like,
-often they are deliberately organised at times when students arent on campus. For example almost all summer & September open days occur before term, and often the offer holder days etc, are held on Wednesday (when students have BUCS) hence campus is far less populated then it is normally.
-IMO open days are a really good chance to look around the campus, see some accommodation and ask lots of question, and find out if you'll be comfortable in the environment & on the course .. But the reality is your never gonna know whats its like to be a student at uni until you arrive.

Yeh I know everyone’s experience different but just wanted someone else’s perspective on it.
Reply 3
I live very close to Reading with friends who commute there/ others who stay in halls and go to the town a lot. I mean reading is nothing speacial - theres a few good clubs and places to eat like its a nice town centre and good i guess if you dont care too much about nightlife. Good thing about Reading is its so close to places like windsor, Henley, London etc so you can go for days out at places. Reading isnt really a student town tbh but if uve come from somewhere smaller reading will be intresting for u. PM if u have any more questions.
Original post by wordsandroses

Hi,

I'm a current student at the University of Reading - a 4th year Chemistry student.

Regarding Nightlife, it's generally quite good. The Students Union holds two club nights per week - Wednesday Union and Saturday Union. Sometimes there are also additional nights on a Friday.
On other nights of the week the Students Union holds karaoke and quiz nights, comedy, and has Mojo's bar where you can relax and have fun with friends.
In town, there's several clubs that all have a different vibe, and hold student nights on different nights of the week. Therefore, you can pretty much attend a student night every day of the week, except perhaps Sunday.

As for societies, there's something like 200! Some of the societies are associated with the courses - such as the Chemistry Society - ChemSoc. There's also hobby based societies such as DIY, music societies - choir, bandsoc, political or campaigning societies, as well as all the sporting societies. The sporting societies range from typical sports such as football, rugby, and netball to snow-sports, scuba and caving. Several of the sporting societies compete each year in varsity - a friendly rivalry with Oxford Brookes University.

Accommodation at Reading is really good quality. There's a range of types of rooms from shared bathroom, washbasin rooms, en-suite, premium rooms, etc. They vary in price to meet any budget. You'll typically be in a flat with 6-8 other students, although some of the halls comprise of larger flats. Plus, you've got the option to be catered or self-catered. In the first few weeks they'll be lots of events to help you get to know your flat, and the people in neighboring flats/hall blocks, so it's easy to make friends and get to know everyone. I really enjoyed being in halls in my first year, so much so that I've chosen to come back this year!

I hope this helps. If there's anything else you'd like to know don't hesitate to ask.

Emma
(4th Year Chemistry Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending