The Student Room Group

Any advice and tips

Going to uni in a few weeks, I am very worried as I struggled in a levels but managed to get a place in university. Apparently there will be a lot of workshops and I struggle when reading. I think it's more of a habit I have created that i give up easily and I know university is going to be hard, especially when I'm going in quite blind. I am currently trying to read a book about the basics of my course but it's not exactly going through my brain but going over it again and again should work. I honestly don't know how I'll do there.
Reply 1
It's not exactly an easy course but it's not like it's a STEM or medical subject.
Original post by Anonymous
Going to uni in a few weeks, I am very worried as I struggled in a levels but managed to get a place in university. Apparently there will be a lot of workshops and I struggle when reading. I think it's more of a habit I have created that i give up easily and I know university is going to be hard, especially when I'm going in quite blind. I am currently trying to read a book about the basics of my course but it's not exactly going through my brain but going over it again and again should work. I honestly don't know how I'll do there.

Hey,

I understand going to uni can be stressful when you've struggled with A-levels because I was in the same position. What course are you starting?

I know it's easier said than done but try not to stress yourself out about it too much, especially before you start, as the first year is generally about easing you into the course and ensuring everyone is up to the same level, so they tend to start pretty slowly. I think taking in what you are reading is a big challenge and this will probably come easier with time; universities also generally have workshops just for this to help you take in relevant information. I would say try not to worry yourself about this now and see how it goes, and then if needs be you can always contact your university's student learning advisory service (or similar) for support when needed (these services generally are on offer at unis to help with any kind of learning support e.g. reading/essay writing and so on). With workshops as well, whilst there is normally pre-reading, they're normally more focused on discussion, so anything you can contribute will still be of value. :smile:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,
I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this. In my experience universities are great at helping everyone learn regardless of what works for you. There may also be other facilities available too like learning coaches or mentors to help you study and not give up. It can feel really hard and daunting but getting started can be the hardest part so it's great that you have made a start on your course materials already.
I hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Hi!
First off congratulations on getting into uni!
I felt the exact same this time last year as I struggled with A-Levels too. Obviously I can only speak for my course at my university but the way university level work is presented is completely different from a level. Additionally, your university will be introducing you to things like how to write academically as they know you won't have written like this before.
I hope this is helpful! Faye :smile:

Hi,

I'm sorry you're feeling stressed about starting your course- please try not to worry too much, your first introductory sessions will probably clear things up more than trying to read a book about it before you start, and the university should help you to build up your study skills. If you do find that you're really struggling with the content after a couple of weeks, definitely talk to your mentor/academic tutor/lecturers about it. They'll want to support you and that will be much easier if you let them know at the beginning of the year, rather than right before your exams. I hope you have the best time at uni!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hello there,

First and foremost, I want to congratulate you on your decision to pursue higher education. It's normal to feel a mix of excitement and fear, especially while starting university. Remember that you are not alone in your feelings; many students have suffered similar difficulties.

Many of us have struggled with reading and felt like we gave up too easily. The good news is that you are aware of it and are currently working to better. The road you're about to embark on may be difficult, but that's what progress is all about. Here are some ideas to help you deal with these emotions and make the most of your university experience

Workshops, tutoring, and study groups are common support services provided by universities. If you're having trouble, don't be afraid to contact your instructors, academic advisors, or the learning centre. They are there to assist you in reaching your goals. I believe instead of reading the entire book all at once, divide it into smaller portions. Set attainable goals for each study session and reward yourself when you reach them. It takes time and repetition to learn. It's fine if things don't come together right immediately. Continue going over the content, and you'll probably notice that concepts begin to make more sense with time.

If reading isn't your favourite method of learning, experiment with different approaches such as viewing videos, listening to podcasts, or debating concepts with peers.Your past difficulties do not determine your future success. Approach each obstacle with optimism and an eagerness to learn from your blunders.

Make a study schedule that works for you. Consistency can help you develop better habits and learn more effectively. It was beneficial to me personally. Approach your studies with an open mind. When you're interested in a subject, it can make studying more interesting and pleasurable.

Don't compare yourself, I'll say. Keep in mind that everyone's journey is unique. Instead of comparing yourself to others, concentrate on your own improvement. It is critical to look after your health. To recharge your mind, schedule time for rest, hobbies, and socializing. Every step forward is worth celebrating. Recognise and celebrate small accomplishments along the road.

Have confidence in your ability to adapt and learn. You've already taken the first step by admitting your problems and seeking help. You have the tenacity and determination to overcome challenges and achieve in your university studies. Continue to press on, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. You can do it!

Best wishes on your path to a more colourful life!

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Hey there!

My advice to you is to find the way that works best for you. For example, just like you I can't hack reading a book. I can't focus on the words and anything I do pick up goes in one ear and out the other. I also can't sit and revise by reading a textbook and making notes on it, the information just doesn't go in so you're definitely not alone in this. The way I best get around it is repetition and flashcards. I write down bits that interest me and just keep teaching myself them and commit them to memory. Another way I've got round the amount of reading at university is to stick to articles. If there was a particular topic we'd been discussing in lectures then I'd try to find articles on it which were a lot shorter and written in a slightly less formal style that made it easier to understand. I will say when it comes to writing your end of module essay, it looks better if you choose a range of sources, not just articles. But this tip is good start to get your head around topics. My lecturer's advice when finding a book to include as a reference in essays is to read the first sentence of every paragraph on the first chapter and if it sounds like it has the content in that you want, then you can focus on the fine print.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending