The Student Room Group

Options for A Levels?

So, i have no idea what i want to do when im older. i've been told that if thats the case its a good idea to go fo the core subjects, y'know english, maths etc, but i also don't understand the grade system given to the studies, for example, at a local petroc, i can study a level 3 english, and it says that its full time, i don't understand if that means i do it for the whole day, everyday, or just study it for the amount of years i'm there.

if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it
Reply 1
Original post by Sub.jpg
So, i have no idea what i want to do when im older. i've been told that if thats the case its a good idea to go fo the core subjects, y'know english, maths etc, but i also don't understand the grade system given to the studies, for example, at a local petroc, i can study a level 3 english, and it says that its full time, i don't understand if that means i do it for the whole day, everyday, or just study it for the amount of years i'm there.

if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it

Full time generally means a two year course, 5 days a week.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to do a core subject for the sake of doing a ‘core subject’. Do what your passionate about otherwise you’re wasting 1/3 of your A Level choices on a subject you’re not passionate about. It’s more important you have 3 A Levels that you can do well in.
Full time means that its the main thing that you're doing, rather than something that's designed to have a job alongside it. GCSEs are level 1-2, A level is level 3.
Don't worry about doing core subjects... choose your 3 favourte subjects as a starting point and go from there. If those happen to be subjects like music, drama and food tech or similar then you might want to think about changing one of them to something more traditional in order to keep your options open, but honestly, you won't study if you're doing something that you hate, and its better to get A*s in any subject than to get Us in subjects that other people think are worthwhile.

Quick Reply

Latest