The Student Room Group

Wording unclear in Chemistry Questions

I have seen a number of AQA A-Level chemistry exam questions where the wording just isn't very clear.

Take this example:

"When anhydrous aluminium chloride reacts with water, solution Y is formed that contains a complex aluminium ion, Z, and chloride ions. "

Does solution Y contain Z and chloride ions or does solution Y just contain Z, and then the chloride ions are separate?

I did get this correct but I doubted myself due to the unclear wording. This could easily be worded better in order to not try to confuse students. This isn't the only example.
Original post by Treetop321
I have seen a number of AQA A-Level chemistry exam questions where the wording just isn't very clear.

Take this example:

"When anhydrous aluminium chloride reacts with water, solution Y is formed that contains a complex aluminium ion, Z, and chloride ions. "

Does solution Y contain Z and chloride ions or does solution Y just contain Z, and then the chloride ions are separate?

I did get this correct but I doubted myself due to the unclear wording. This could easily be worded better in order to not try to confuse students. This isn't the only example.

The question is reasonably clear as it's written, the solution contains complex ions AND chloride ions.

I agree it could be written slightly more clearly but I suppose they expect you to know that the chloride ions aren't going to magically come out of solution without a positive ion the accompany them to form an ionic solid. If the Aluminium complex ions are in solution then obviously the chloride ions MUST also be in solution (otherwise you'd have a positive solution with a big chunk of negative chloride! The question is only ambiguous if you don't understand what a solution is.

Quick Reply

Latest