The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry requirements

does anyone know if LSE accepts native language A level as part of their A levels
Original post by ocean2222
does anyone know if LSE accepts native language A level as part of their A levels

Covered here under 'language qualifications'.

"Where we have reason to believe a student has significant prior exposure to a language, we may exclude a language learning qualification from any offer we make.

Significant prior exposure to a language may include:

- you, your immediate family or your community regularly speak the language during day-to-day life.

- you live or have lived in a country where that language is commonly spoken.

- you are or have been educated in that language.

In order to help us with this decision, we take into account all information provided on the UCAS application such as nationality, schools attended (pre and post-16), completed language qualifications, normal place of residence and information from your referee. Where it is unclear to us whether the language qualification being taken is providing a significant academic challenge, we may require further information from you or your referee before we make our final decision."
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
so they don't accept it as an A level because it is my first language that I have lived in that country
so they don't accept it as an A level because it is my first language that I have lived in that country

From that information they will exclude it if it is a common language of an address on your application, yes.
Original post by Admit-One
From that information they will exclude it if it is a common language of an address on your application, yes.

I mean not necessarily, it says they “may” exclude it and that significant prior exposure “may include…” so I imagine it would depend on OP’s specific circumstances. OP, how long did you live in that country/do you have nationality of that country?
Reply 5
Original post by SaintLaurent
I mean not necessarily, it says they “may” exclude it and that significant prior exposure “may include…” so I imagine it would depend on OP’s specific circumstances. OP, how long did you live in that country/do you have nationality of that country?

I lived there from birth for 14 years and moved to the UK 4 years ago
Original post by SaintLaurent

I was commentating that if they specifically listed another countries address on the app; the only address fields are for a current or term time address.

If they've been in the UK for 4+yrs then they may well be fine. There's no way to say for certain though as LSE review the info on the app to make their assessment.
I lived there from birth for 14 years and moved to the UK 4 years ago

If you want to know the definite answer, I would email their undergraduate admissions office and ask them directly, explaining your situation.
Which degree course(s) are you considering studying at LSE? Because Maths, Economics and French would be perfectly acceptable for most LSE degrees.

But I know from my LSE Open Day experience, I asked whether a language is useful? And the response was positive but languages you speak natively i.e. mother tongue and been schooled in are excluded I'm afraid.
Reply 9
Original post by aarnaa

Do you have a related question?
Reply 11
Do you have a related question?

ohh damn I didnt realise that it the reply saved like that lmao, I wanted to say that im taking a level french but ive lived in belgium for 7 years, but i never actually learnt much french as i was in a british school and i spent my childhood there so would that still make them count french as a native language a level (probably not but im still sorta concerned)
Original post by aarnaa
ohh damn I didnt realise that it the reply saved like that lmao, I wanted to say that im taking a level french but ive lived in belgium for 7 years, but i never actually learnt much french as i was in a british school and i spent my childhood there so would that still make them count french as a native language a level (probably not but im still sorta concerned)

Their wording about native languages seems unchanged from when this thread was made so it would potentially fall under the following:

”you live or have lived in a country where that language is commonly spoken.”

It would be worth having your ref cover in your reference your exposure to the language growing up, as LSE’s guidance says they will sometimes contact the ref where it is unclear from the info on the application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending